Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Asclepias curassavica

Asclepias curassavica
USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
PLANTS Profile

Name Search Results | USDA PLANTS
Asclepias curassavica L.
bloodflower

Symbol: ASCU
Group: Dicot
Family: Asclepiadaceae
Duration: Perennial
Growth Habit: Subshrub
Forb/herb

Native Status:
L48 I
HI I
PR I
VI I
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
WG Staff

Asclepias curassavica
University of Connecticut

Asclepias curassavica {Apocynaceae} Blood-flower
Quote:
Asclepias curassavica L.

Common Name: Blood-flower
Family: Apocynaceae Juss.

Country of Origin: Trop. America
Habitat:

Description: Showy perennial to 1 m with woody base, stems with milky sap; oblanceolate leaves 5-15 cm long, the flowers in umbels with reflexed, 5 parted corolla brilliant red-purple, exposing the crown of 5 orange horned hoods.

Uses: Medicinal: ETHNOBOTANY: WORLDWIDE USES (from Rainforest Tropical Plant Database Leslie Taylor 2005

Brazil as a poison, Costa Rica for warts, Dominican Republic as an emetic and vulnerary; for fevers, Elsewhere for dysentery, gonorrhea, headaches, intestinal worms, leprosy, piles, parasites, tumors(abdomen); as an diaphoretic, emetic, hemostat, purgative, styptic, sudorific, and vermifuge Haiti as a depurative, emetic, pectoral, poison(veterinary); for fever, Mexico for Cancer, as an emetic, poison, purgative, and vermifuge; for rabies, sores, tuberculosis, Samoa as an emetic, poison, Trinidad for sores, venereal diseases, Turkey as an astringent, emetic, hemostat, purgative, vermifuge, Venezuela for caries, leprosy, leucorrhea; as an astringent, purgative
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Well, that seems well out of my range.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
WG Staff

Asclepias curassavica
Missouri Botanical Garden

Asclepias curassavica
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Common Name: blood flower
Type: Herbaceous perennial
Family: Apocynaceae
Zone: 9 to 11
Native Range: South America
Height: 2 to 3 feet
Spread: 1.5 to 2 feet
Bloom Time: June to October
Bloom Color: Orange, Red, Yellow
Bloom Description: Red-orange with yellow hood
Sun: Full sun
Water: Medium
Maintenance: Low
Flowers: Showy Flowers
Wildlife: Attracts Hummingbirds, Attracts Butterflies
Tolerates: Deer
Uses: Suitable as Annual
Invasive: Where is this species invasive in the US?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
WG Staff

Asclepias curassavica
Common Names: scarlet milkweed, bloodflower, silkweed, Indian root
Family: Asclepiadaceae (milkweed Family)
Floridata

Floridata: Asclepias curassavica
excerpt from above:
Description
Quote:
Scarlet milkweed is an erect, evergreen perennial subshrub, often grown as an annual. Like most milkweeds, it has opposite leaves and milky sap. The leaves are about 5 in (12.7 cm) long, narrowly elliptic, and pointed at both ends. Scarlet milkweed gets about 3-4 ft (0.6-0.9 m) tall and usually has a few pairs of symmetrical branches. The flowers are orange and red and borne in terminal and axillary clusters that are 2-4 in (5.1-10.2 cm) across. It blooms continuously from spring until autumn. The fruits are spindle shaped pods, 3-4 in (7.6-10.2 cm) long, that eventually split open to release little flat seeds that drift away on silky parachutes. A cultivar with yellow flowers is available.

Scarlet milkweed is native to South America but has become a naturalized weed in tropical and subtropical pastures, fields and disturbed areas throughout the world, including central and southern Florida…
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Well, that seems well out of my range.
Quote:
Scarlet milkweed is native to South America...
See!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Monarch butterfly farmers use it as a food source, since it grows rapidly and is propagated vegetatively extremely easily.

It is not at all frost tolerant, so there is little risk of it becoming invasive much north of Florida.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
WG Staff

Asclepias curassavica
PLANTS Profile for Asclepias curassavica (bloodflower) | USDA PLANTS

Symbol: ASCU
Group: Dicot
Family: Asclepiadaceae
Duration: Perennial
Growth Habit: Subshrub
Forb/herb
Native Status:
L48 I
HI I
PR I
VI I
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I disagree that there is no risk of it becoming invasive. I live in southern NJ and I have seen it spread. I haven't planted it in years because of this. I also believe there is a link between tropical milkweed and the spread of Oe. Just my opinion.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

What is Oe?

Are there cultivars of A. curassavica? The couple of times I have planted it here it has died with the first frost, but you're right that that doesn't mean it won't spread seeds and spread as an annual if conditions are right. My garden conditions are so poor that I rarely see evidence of invasiveness in my own yard.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asclepias, asclepias curassavica, blood flower, blood-flower, bloodflower, curassavica, mexican butterfly weed, milk weed, non-native, plants, scarlet milkweed, silkweed, tropical milkweed