Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
WG Writer

Default Invasive Species: Just Eat Them!

About | Invasivore.org

I just ran across this web site that is dedicated to the notion that one way to deal with invasive species -- plant and animal -- is to eat them. Lots of recipes!

A word of caution. One of the most troublesome invasive species in my yard is Asian wisteria. I even employed a goat to help get rid of this stuff. But unfortunately, the plant is poisonous to goats.

In fact, human's have eaten the most poisonous part--the seeds. They are said to taste like chestnuts. Does cooking inactivate the poison? I do not know.

So beware, and don't eat anything that common sense tells you may be poisonous or allergenic.

Right now my best strategy for invasive plants is to cut them off at the base and cover them with cardboard -- in adundant supply from Amazon shopping.
Compost the tops--they are often concentrated in nutrients and minerals stolen from your soil.

More about eating invasive species: http://eattheinvaders.org/
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I just saw this thread. Although I have nothing to add about eating invasives, I will respond to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
One of the most troublesome invasive species in my yard is Asian wisteria.
The previous owner had planted an Asian wisteria by our backyard deck. By the looks of it (and the fact hat the tag was still on), it was probably only in the ground for two to three years. Needless to say I removed it. The next year I found it coming up from a root I'd missed. I *think* it is gone now, but I'll keep my eyes open for it again this year.

I consider myself lucky that I got it when I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Right now my best strategy for invasive plants is to cut them off at the base and cover them with cardboard -- in adundant supply from Amazon shopping.
Compost the tops--they are often concentrated in nutrients and minerals stolen from your soil.
I like your plan...maybe I should start shopping more! (Nah, I really don't shop much...except for trees, shrubs, seeds, etc...and the things I'll need for the vegetable garden and landscaping. Most of these things don't include cardboard.

I'm sure I must buy more things than what I described, but not too often. I'm better off picking up boxes at a grocery store or something. I guess I'll have to add that to my list.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Heron

... Farmers were paid $8.00 per acre by the Soil Erosion Service to plant kudzo, and now it is something that I think would take over the forest -- well at least the edge of forest.
They say cattle love it - but I would imagine that a cow would be in danger of walking of a clift and not even know it because kudzu would hide it, and I am not sure kudzu might just eat the cow.

Anyway -- there have been people that report that they eat kudzu - esp when it is young -- I don't know though -- there is a patch out on a back road that has crept up on all the trees and the electric wires and fences -- I am pretty sure that one patch could feed every man, woman an child in my state.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhhhhh…. this kudzu deal could go well beyond just the digging of holes and filling em at the tax payer’s expense!!! They’re digging holes…. spending $$$ filling em and now they’ll have to dig out what they put in their holes so they can refill em again. Talk about taking like 5 steps backwards before they’ll be able to take a step forward and to boot…. they’ll have to spend even more $$$ on toxic chemicals… more plants to go back in their holes and….. more $$$ on the disposal of the kudzu.

adding something to sorta clarify what I meant about digging holes and filling em.... it's my new favorite video,

Last edited by Equilibrium; 04-12-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: adding something....
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Heron

Ohhhh, perfect ending video for the kudzu deal!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidambar View Post
...Anyway -- there have been people that report that they eat kudzu - esp when it is young --.
There are recipes out there for kudzu - If you're interested, I'll look for them for you!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

There's a kudzu jelly I've had before that was surprisingly tasty!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Heron

Equil:
Did it have a distinctive taste to it like apples and berries or was it just the sugar and maybe vinegar?

Big Blue Eyes thanks or the suggestion; but I do not have any kuduz I could obtain -- thank goodness!

Although up the road a bit there is some in a woody area -- -- it has even traveled out of the woods down a nice brand new wood fence, up telephone or (surely not electric lines and all their post toward a returning native fellow; who has just built the prettiest log home. I could travel that way and see if he would let me have some. If I wanted to make the first impression on them that I am crazy!

However; I noticed a bunch of smoke rising from that area just three days ago and a suspect since the smoke was white it was a grass fire - perhaps a (kudzu burning). Some times you can burn just the ground around trees if the conditions are right. But all that kudu on those trees?? -- well it was a lot of smoke -- I guess I might drive up there to see what was burned.

But then on second thought -- I am cleaning out my parent's basement (after a life time here - I see no end) but I found a juicer I had bought them years ago. I brought it home to go down in my basement?

I have heard that drinking green smoothies is a healthy thing - gets rid of heavy metals that have accumulated in your body.

Does anyone know what greens are used? And would Kuduz be a good green?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I guess if I had to compare it.... I'd compare it to rose hip or rootbeer jelly. Lots of sugar but.... still tasty and it'd be good in thumbprint cookies.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Heron

Thanks Equil, a mild jelly then.
How did you run across such a thing?

Tags
asian wisteria, control, eat, eliminate, invasive, invasive plants, invasive species, invasives, kudzu, species