Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
WG Staff
Default A Wildlife Vet, a Pigeon, a Groundbreaking Discovery

A Wildlife Vet, a Pigeon, a Groundbreaking Discovery
By Leslie Reed
January 31, 2012

A Wildlife Vet, a Pigeon, a Groundbreaking Discovery | Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network
excerpt from above:
One of the reasons I love my job as a wildlife veterinarian so much is the variety of my days. No two days are the same; each is filled with different animals with different problems, and I love the anticipation of what my day may bring. I never know what kind of animal will come through the door, what challenges Iíll face, and what skills Iíll get to use Ė itís very unpredictable and that makes it so fun and exciting! My job is very fast-paced, keeps me on my toes, and thereís never a dull moment Ė emergency medicine at its finest! It is also full of new discoveries, as I found out last spring.

Last April I was examining a wild male adult Rock Pigeon that couldnít fly. The person who found the pigeon suspected a broken wing. On the initial physical exam, I didnít find any broken bones but the bird was exhibiting odd neurologic behaviors, including...
The tendency of man's nature to good is like the tendency of water to flow downwards.
Staff is offline   Reply With Quote

discovery, groundbreaking, pigeon, sarcocystis calchasi, vet, wildlife