Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Mentor

Default Another day, another negligent cat owner

Was greeted to this in my yard this morning. It appears to be the same cat I have chased off twice before. Looks like I'll have to purchase a trap again (gave the last one away). I am thinking about suing the owner this time, should he or she come forward, for the cost of having to trap it and take it to a shelter. Not to mention the fact that this "pet" is pooping in my garden from which I eat. Guessing that won't happen though, it's cheaper for them to turn another cat loose than pay the fines and costs of shots to get the original back. Amazing how people have no respect for their neighbors.
Attached Thumbnails
Another day, another negligent cat owner-cat.jpg  
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I feel for you. Lots of loose cats around here. One guy told me that his cat 'needed' to be outside. He also told me that she was a bird killer. He said it like he was bragging.

When I was young, my brothers would shoot the neighbor's cats with bb guns to chase them out of the garden. I would get so upset with them, but now I know why they were doing it! I don't condone violence, but I very much understand their (and yours) frustration!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Offical Silphium Abuser

I love cats (and have five), but can't convince the neighbors that cats rescued from the street can indeed adapt to an indoor life. We are perhaps so used to them as work animals from our agrarian past (and I have a farming friend who still has barn cats--and needs them, with all the grain she stores) that we have difficulty seeing them as unnatural predators on this continent.
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

That's life as usual out here. We can't get the neighbors to keep their dogs inside so there's no chance with cats. There are three neighbor cats that come to look for food and water at our house. One is trying to get us to adopt it, mewing and rubbing up against us when we are out in the garden, but we only have one animal left and after she's gone we'll be done as pet owners. Our cat (which looks very much like your black and white cat, right down to the pot belly) is old and lazy. She just sits on the deck and watches the birds come down and eat her food and drink her water. Squirrels walk right past her and she doesn't budge. All creatures are safe around her. She even watches as the neighbor cats come looking for food. Now we only put it out for 5 minutes twice a day for her. She refuses to come inside.

I've thought about talking to my neighbor with the yellow cat that's here constantly because she sits under the birdbath, waiting. She's a young cat and we have lots of birds. I haven't seen her catch any yet but I'm certain she's a good hunter so I worry. The owner is disabled and doesn't care for his property so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't care a bit about what his cat does. At least he keeps his Great Dane inside, most of the time.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Though it rarely is a problem here with all of the coyotes in the area, lately I have a large (very large) feral cat who has adopted my yard as his home. He keeps his distance from me, but doesn't seem excited or especially fearful of me.

I'm sure he has killed multiple birds, reptiles, and rodents (including, it appears, all of the chipmunks that had been around).

Once the winter cold sets in, the coyotes always return. Once they do, they will probably catch this guy. I saw him about three weeks ago with a snake hanging from his mouth...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

midwesternerr> "Amazing how people have no respect for their neighbors" Or the wildlife their hardwired killers destroy not to mention no respect their own animal. What kind of a person turns some poor dumb animal loose to roam that could get reduced to a postage size thickness on some road OR ripped apart by a dog or coyote OR fed rat poison by some neighbor whose fed up>>>?
--
jack> I'll put up with a lot... even fixing up and taking some of these dump offs in our house as our own but... I'd go through the ceiling if I saw some cat waltzing off with one of my snakes dangling out of its mouth. I feel for ya. Can't you just set a Hav-A-Heart trap BEFORE it kills again? Maybe you could check with animal control? Our animal control picks up any cat we trap M-F... 7am-4:30pm. They humanely destroy all the feral cats and send any strays and dump offs that are in decent health to a county shelter. For like $40 and a little road trip.... I can take all the ones that were obviously former pets taken on that "proverbial drive in the country" up to a no-kill shelter which... is what we do otherwise we'd have like 20 house cats right now instead of only 3. Maybe your animal control picks up like ours does or maybe you've got a shelter you could haul that cat over to?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Mentor

I am debating whether to trap the animal myself or hire a pest control service. Getting quotes for the later now. Wish I knew whose pet it is, I'd go scoop up all the goose poop across and the street and take it over to the owner's house with a sign, "Just returning the favor" lol. Not really, but it's a funny idea. I am tempted to make signs with a picture of the cat and post them around the area asking the person to please come forward and pay for the damages the cat has caused, though. I am not made of money so when I have to pay to cleanup someone else's mess, it takes away from my family. At the exact time the cat began surfacing, I began noticing damage to the inside of an outbuilding's insulation... and a curtain was ripped down that had been up for months. No proof but suspect it could be more than a coincidence.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Might as well just bite the bullet and buy your own trap. You probably nailed it... who ever owns it will just go pick up another one and let it run loose.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
WG Fundraising Coordinator

When we lived in Indiana we inherited a huge barn full of feral cats and a few tamed ones that the previous owners left. We went to the local shelter and borrowed a trap from them. We captured many, many feral cats which we brought to them every day for a couple of weeks until all we were catching were possums and raccoons. The kittens that were left up in the loft after the mom cats were caught we brought inside and fed until they were big enough to give away or keep. Some didn't make it and some did. We kept one and gave away the rest.

Our shelter was so gracious and understanding of our plight that they did not charge us for every single cat we brought them. Instead at the end of the trapping we gave them back the trap and gave them a generous donation.

It is amazing to me, being naive and all, that people could dump unwanted cats near some barn and feel good about it. Why not just put them in a bag and throw them in the river??? (Not condoning that at all, please don't think that.) But just think, 50 cats, one barn, how many vermin do you think there are in that barn, especially because there is no grain there, no livestock? Now the cats become the vermin.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Mentor

I tried a new strategy today, just in case the owner lives within ear shot. I went as close to the property line as possible in the direction the cat appeared to travel from and began shouting to come get the cat and that it was not welcome here. The real issue is the owner. I don't feel that I should have to trap the animal and deal with the bycatch (squirrels, skunks, etc). I put the camera back out to get a better picture and will try making a couple dozen flyers to post around town asking the person to keep their cat out of my yard first. If that does not work, we have budgeted to have a pest control service deal with the problem by trapping. If we have to take that step it will be bad for everyone since it will cost me money and they will not have a chance to get the cat back.

Tags
cat, day, negligent, owner