Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
I tried a new strategy today, just in case the owner lives within ear shot. I went as close to the property line as possible in the direction the cat appeared to travel from and began shouting to come get the cat and that it was not welcome here. The real issue is the owner. I don't feel that I should have to trap the animal and deal with the bycatch (squirrels, skunks, etc). I put the camera back out to get a better picture and will try making a couple dozen flyers to post around town asking the person to keep their cat out of my yard first. If that does not work, we have budgeted to have a pest control service deal with the problem by trapping. If we have to take that step it will be bad for everyone since it will cost me money and they will not have a chance to get the cat back.
Have you considered a BB gun? If that cat begins to associate your yard with biting stings, it will stop coming over - conditioned response...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Mentor

No, but I had thought of chaining a tiger up in the back yard with a sign that reads, "my cat needs to be outside" lol Just kidding about that, of course. On a positive note, I saw a bobcat about 3/4 of a mile down the road... now there's a cat welcome in my yard!

I am hoping to resolve the matter in a way that the cat is kept inside or within the owners own yard. It will live longer and hopefully the owner will become a more considerate neighbor.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

"I am hoping to resolve the matter in a way that the cat is kept inside or within the owners own yard. It will live longer and hopefully the owner will become a more considerate neighbor." Ohhhh.... can I have some of what you're smoking.... please... pretty please. Just kidding.... I 'spose we can always dream.
--
A bobcat would be welcome by me too... so would an eagle. havalotta's got an eagles nest about 300 yards south of her house and guess what's in it>>>? 3 or 4 pet collars.

Tags
cat, day, negligent, owner