Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default A little "kitten" for dapjwy

I know... I know... I couldn't put this "kitten" in NA Wildlife since it's not native so I'm slopping it here. I went to grab a 2x6 and this was underneath it. 3 others were nursing at the time and when mom took off.... they went with her. Funniest thing seeing her scurry off with "attachments". This little guy wasn't nursing at the time so he was left behind when mom took off. I grabbed my camera. Soon as I left.... she climbed down from the shrub and went back for this "kitten".
Attached Thumbnails
A little "kitten" for dapjwy-img_6082.jpg   A little "kitten" for dapjwy-img_6083.jpg   A little "kitten" for dapjwy-img_6086.jpg   A little "kitten" for dapjwy-img_6087.jpg  
Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Stop playing with my mind!

It is late, I've been having a busy, somewhat stressful weekend...and I missed the quotation marks (" ") around the word "kitten". I was fully expecting a baby cat...and was trying to figure out why it was for *me*...and thinking that you'd better not think we were gonna adopt it, when I opened the pictures. Puzzled for only a second or two, dapjwy finally figured it out: That damn close-up of a mouse that I mistook for a cat has resulted in this gentle ribbing.

Oh well, I guess he was kinda cute too--he looks a bit too big to be nursing still. Funniest thing was my picturing a mother cat with "attachments".
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Gotcha!!! It can't be that old. The eyes haven't opened on any of them yet. I don't do real kittens any more. There's plenty of people those can be passed off to if they need bottle feeding. Now a skunk.... I'd do more of those in a heartbeat.... not too many people want to bottle feed those when they're orphaned. Lemme know if you ever want to adopt a skunk.... just kidding.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Gotcha!!! It can't be that old. The eyes haven't opened on any of them yet.
I guess you are right about the eyes not being opened...he looks very big (and mature) in the close up. I just assumed they were born naked and was suprised to see the full coat of fur.

Now, as for being invasive...it looks like a field mouse to me. Surely there are many North American species of mice that are native...I'm no expert, but why do you say this particular kind is not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post

Now a skunk.... I'd do more of those in a heartbeat.... not too many people want to bottle feed those when they're orphaned. Lemme know if you ever want to adopt a skunk.... just kidding.
I think that might be quite amazing (especially if they don't develop the ability to spray when they are that little). Somewhere on the WG, someone stated that once a skunk realizes you are not a threat, you can go about your business in your yard and they'll go about theirs.

...but, I'm still not in any hurry to give it a try.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Oodles of native mice. We've got 3 different species I've seen on my property alone in the past 10 years or so. I'm pretty sure this one's not indigenous though. Being introduced or rather exotic doesn't automatically make it invasive but.... I had no where else to put it so I could tease you a little. It does look huge doesn't it. Same thing happened with the last photo I took of the other one from the window well. In real life it would have fit on a quarter with space left over but from the photo it looked like it woulda filled up a coffee cup.
--
I don't know who it was who said that about skunks but I'll buy it. I don't normally see them out and about during the day when I'm out and about though.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I wonder what kind of seeds she's gathered for their nest.... Good mommie
Even a few dragonfly wings. I'm guessing she ate them and those to be their remains.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I guess you are right about the eyes not being opened...he looks very big (and mature) in the close up. I just assumed they were born naked and was suprised to see the full coat of fur.

Now, as for being invasive...it looks like a field mouse to me. Surely there are many North American species of mice that are native...I'm no expert, but why do you say this particular kind is not?

I think that might be quite amazing (especially if they don't develop the ability to spray when they are that little). Somewhere on the WG, someone stated that once a skunk realizes you are not a threat, you can go about your business in your yard and they'll go about theirs.

...but, I'm still not in any hurry to give it a try.
That was I. For more than a year I've had a white skunk who is huge hang out in my yard, sometimes during the day. When I pass through the yard he glances at me and, when he realizes it's just me, loses interest and doesn't even care where I'm going or how close to him I am. At first I was very guarded as visions of tomato juice baths weren't very appetizing to my imagination. Now, however, I too hardly pay him any attention. I KNOW he is not frightened of me, and that tail of his never even moves when I'm near him.

I'll get a picture of him soon. The other night there was a heavy odor of skunk permeating the house - quite unusual here, and I was worried he got hit. The next day I saw that a skunk was run over a few houses up from me, but it was not my Whitey. I think he's taken up residence in the brush pile, though he used to live under the front concrete/brick steps.

I haven't seen him in a week or so, but that's not unusual at all. He'll be around. I've a feeling he is eating somebody's pet's food. He's too huge to be eating only wild fare. Maybe he has a Purina build???

I know one thing, the coyotes would never mess with this hunk of flesh. He'd have the whole pack wishing they were in the ocean for a swim!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
That was I. For more than a year I've had a white skunk who is huge hang out in my yard, sometimes during the day. When I pass through the yard he glances at me and, when he realizes it's just me, loses interest and doesn't even care where I'm going or how close to him I am...

I'll get a picture of him soon. The other night there was a heavy odor of skunk permeating the house - quite unusual here, and I was worried he got hit. The next day I saw that a skunk was run over a few houses up from me, but it was not my Whitey...
Sorry, jack. I didn't want to name the wrong person without looking it up.

I still *love* knowing that a skunk could get used to a human that means it no harm. How cool.

Glad he is still safe. ~smile~
Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
WG Operations, Facilitator

skunk

Jack-
I want to see photos of "whitey," your backyard skunk!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Precious little mousie!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals, brush, brushpile, dapjwy, kitten, mammals, mice, mouse, mouse next, nest, nests, skunk, small wildlife, white, white skunk, wildlife