Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

View Poll Results: Do you allow spiders to live in your home?
Yes 17 73.91%
No 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liane View Post
Doesn't eat insects either.
There are indeed some predaceous harvestmen, especially in the tropics - see "Devil harvestmen predation" at Opiliones for an example.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
There are indeed some predaceous harvestmen, especially in the tropics - see "Devil harvestmen predation" at Opiliones for an example.
The "Devil Harvestmen" video at that site is terrifying!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Some we move outside when the weather's warm otherwise we leave em be. We had a boatload of folk over for Thanksgiving and I found a little spider on a leaf on our porch that we use as extra frig space.... I took a few photos of him on the leaf then brought him inside and put him on one of my house plants. Everybody visited my plant to see how he was doing. It was sorta funny. One little rescued spider and 38 well wishers. We have a snake that calls our sump pump pit home... we leave it be. It's a cute little thing that found it's way to free meals.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
Salamander

I like the idea of a snake in my sump.

I would have thought it would be a bit chilly for the little guy in there. I put these big slabs of rough slate down to kill off some pernicious weeds, and I often find Mr Schnake hiding under it after its been there for a few weeks. I always thought he picked it because it was acting like a storage heater, keeping him warm.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Ours must hibernate during the winter. We won't see him again until next spring some time. Frogs must get in the same way he gets in but the frogs don't find their way out and end up resting on the float like it's a lily pad. That's where the snake enters the equation. It comes in and grabs the meal on the float then takes off for sunnier hunting grounds.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I usually pick them up and give them a fling outside...
I would have kept Sages cute jumping spider alongside the computer though..I don't think that variety spins a web of any sort..
He's got cute inquisitive eyes.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I voted yes, for the most part I do let them live inside, but other times, I catch them and put them outside.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I usually catch spiders in a cup and put them outside when I find them crawling about in the house. I leave the ones around the outside alone though - they get huge as the summer progresses and acquire names like Igor and George. The Carolina wrens hop around our bricks cleaning off the little guys. When we first moved in, my daughter rescued a baby skink from the clutchs of one of our spiders - they have big appetites here apparently.

I have large crickets living in my well cover. They make me jump three feet every time I lift it up (my pond refill comes off of the wellhead). I wouldn't mind a snake or two. I had a black rat snake in the attic one year, eating the mice that were coming in to keep warm and eating my bird seed. Isn't living in the woods fun?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #19
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I leave spiders be. All of them. So does John. Jumping spiders are my favs, Sage! Very cool critters, aren't they? I had one hitch a ride in my car last weekend. There were plenty of mummified insects on the dashboard (no, I don't have a clean car!) that I am pretty sure were eaten by him. I wanted to let him go, but couldn't find him later.

I do rescue spiders at school. Teachers call me to remove all types of insects from their rooms. They also call me for mice, snakes and bats! One time, I got called to rescue a catbird!

A teacher who used to be my next door neighbor would scream at the top of her lungs whenever she'd find an insect in her room! It was funny because she seemed to get them all! lol

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
WG Facilitator

Do you think someone was "planting" them in her room for entertainment?

Tags
arachnid, arachnids, behaviors, caterpillar, home, house, indoors, insect, insect behavior, insect intelligence, insects, inside, intelligence, invasive spiders, jumping spider, mantis, moth, outdoors, spider, spiders