Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Heron

Default Going to the dogs !

I have lived in the country before but lately the feral dog population is totally out of control it seems . I have worked with animal control in the past but it seems like there is no end to them recently . It seems with the economy going south that large numbers of " pets " are simply left to thier own devices . After awhile they seem to get trap wise when some members of packs are caught . Anyone else having to deal with this ?
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
WG Writer

Yes we have had packs of feral dogs who have attacked the neighbors goat herd. The goats are so scared and they just stand there while the dogs drag off the baby goats.

recently two dogs appeared on my property - at first I thought they might be dumped dogs. In the end the dogs were returned to their owner but in the mean time of having these dogs for several weeks - I learned a few things about how cities are passing local ordinances that intimidate 'little ol' ladies' like my self and promote hate mongering against the animals.

These dogs were shot at - rifle fire from the field behind me, one of them was rammed by a driver who clearly intended to kill the dog, and finally I was charged with harboring a vicious dog and faced a fine of $500 and/or 60 days in jail. The complaints were filed by six of my neighbors. These are people who are so terrified of dogs when they walk to the store they carry clubs to ward off any dog attack -- actually inviting an attack from any dog.

The 'vicious' dog was a brindle boxer-pit bix. The other was a JRT puppy. These dogs were so totally not vicious. Then I read the ordinance - an ignorant mish mash lifted whole from another State. The ordinance even said that the dog would be determined to be a vicious dog by genetic identification by a qualified veternarian in the State of Ohio. Since I live in Alabama - this is a little weird basis for city legislation. And of course "vicious" is not a genetic condition. It is not something any vet could determined.

In short, what we have is this hate mongering legislation that is targeted at a certain group of dogs. The dogs are classified as "vicious" no matter how unaggressive they might be - as these dogs were. Simply treasured pets - 2 males -that had been let out of their back yard pen and went off on a toot.

The boys are back home now with their little French bulldog sister -Daisy. But I found that run away dogs face dangers from ignorant people that is hard to fathom.

Cars ramming dogs! Do these people also ram children who happen to be in the street?

Rifle fire. This situation is way out of hand.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

Feral dogs around me are called in and animal control picks them up. How they get them is beyond me but they do. My guess is they destroy them.

The dogs like what hazelnut described are picked up but I'm pretty sure they aren't destroyed. They check them for chips and tags to see if they can find the owner and hold them for 10 days then they go to a shelter.

Pitbulls are generally such sweet dogs. I don't understand all the hysteria and breed discrimination going on.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
WG Ways and Means

Reminds me of a story from years ago,

I was driving with a friend from Palm Springs to Redland California. While driving through the desert we were listening to the news on the radio and the report was telling people that if they had a breakdown to stay close to their cars. This was because there were packs of wild dogs roaming the interstate which were responsible for the deaths of two motorists which decided to walk for help after car trouble.

That was about 20 years ago, I bet the problem is worst now.
Green Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
WG Guardian Spirit

Here people are definitely turning out their dogs. In fact, that's why we have the little coon hound in my avatar; my husband found him sitting in the middle of our road when he was about five months old. Later, when we were looking for his owner, one of my husband's students told him he knew who'd put the dog out and that they couldn't afford to feed him. They did what they probably thought was the best they could for him -- they drove him out into the country where it was likely a hunting dog of trainable age would be adopted (not that we trained him to hunt; we just made a pet of him). The shelter here is so overwhelmed that dogs are put down in three days or less.

But the ones that don't get the happy ending that our little guy got and who don't go to the shelter often end up with the coyote packs if they're a large enough breed. Not good either.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Heron

In less than three months time with the occasional loan of a trap from Animal control I have caught 14 dogs as of last night . I have the use of the trap until tommorrow when they need to take it back for use elsewhere . I trapped one last night and he WAS NOT friendly . I trapped two on last friday that were not nasty . The one last night was mean . He had a few scars as if he had been involved in a few fights .

Your story of your Black and Tan is almost funny in its timing . Monday Decembe the 29th the control officer was here to drop off the trap and had a what she believed to be a black and tan bloodhound about 4 to 5 months old riding in the cab with her . She ( the animal control officer ) had picked this dog up wandering around loose but it was SUCH a nice dog that the officer did not want to turn it in and had been taking it home with her but she felt that she already had too many animals . Well I took a fancy to this black and tan and it is now here and we are trying to fit it in . Such a gangly puppy still .It tries to be good and it does seem to try to please but she ( the dog ) sniffs and gets into EVERYTHING .
Attached Thumbnails
Going to the dogs !-dcp_5336.jpg   Going to the dogs !-dcp_5337.jpg   Going to the dogs !-dcp_5338.jpg  
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
WG Guardian Spirit

Aww. She's adorable. You're in for it now...

If my experience is any guide, the getting into everything will continue unabashed until she's about a year and a half old. After that, she'll be much more abashed as she gets into things! Seriously, we've noticed a marked change for the better in the last few weeks if you only look at the behaviour inside the house. Black and tans are also escape artists; no matter how you mend the fence, they find another hole.

Just remember, she can't help herself. She's a slave to her nose, and she has ADD. But constant gentle (usually) reminders will start having an effect in no more than 10-12 months
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
WG Ways and Means

I get all my pets "USED" they are a challenge at first but they all seem to have been very good pets. Most have some left over issues from some trauma of long ago but it seems that (at least for dogs) somehow they are grateful.

It drives me crazy the people get animals and then dont take care of them. I know that cheap food is not always the best for a dog but lets face it you can get a reasonable food for $9 per 40 lbs. I guess vet bills are a different story but if you look after your pet vet bills are not an every day event.
Green Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
WG Writer

I think this is becoming a national crisis and at the same time local ordinances are driving dogs underground with their "vicious dog" laws.

When the pit bull was here I talked to the shelter people at the shelter some 30 mi away. They said becareful who wants him. There is an epidemic of dogs being rounded up for dog fights. Their bodies are thown in the ditches.

The recent episode of NFL star Vick is only the tip of the iceberg. Vick was indited on dog fighting charges and is serving 23 months in prison. Most of his dogs have been rehabilitated and were featured with their new families in Sports Illustrated.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
WG Writer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2429&s_pos=top

Here is the story on saving the Michael Vick dogs.

Tags
dogs