Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 AM   #31
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Lots of people label anyone who tries to control any invasive species as ("bat sh*t")crazy.

Do feelings come from a "scientific place"? What does that mean?
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

Correct me if I am wrong but that member acknowledges the need to control them but may not be comfortable with any form of active control.

I disagree that the problem is going to go away on its own. Not going to happen but it's way over the top for a trail manager to suggest ripping off baby bird heads or grinding them underfoot when there are other ways to humanely destroy them in my humble opinion.

Their numbers are dive bombing in their native range. In an ideal world, we'd be able to box them all up to send them packing and no one would be forced to consider active or passive controls for these species. We don't live in an ideal world and many cavity nesters are paying the ultimate price for our waffling. Incidentally, these birds are not protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty of Act of 1918 and it is a disservice to our environement that we don't have bounties out on them any longer.

Tags
starling