Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

My only concern is that the surviving emerald ash borers will pass on the genes that allowed them to survive the frigid temperatures...so, eventually, their numbers will grow and not be decimated as easily in the future...I'm guessing. At least a reprieve will help.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
My only concern is that the surviving emerald ash borers will pass on the genes that allowed them to survive the frigid temperatures...so, eventually, their numbers will grow and not be decimated as easily in the future...I'm guessing. At least a reprieve will help.
Hey who invited Debbie Downer?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Hey who invited Debbie Downer?
Hey!

Based on most of my posts, I'm afraid I come off as a Pollyanna. When I was younger, people always called me a pessimist...lately people think I'm an optimist. I still think I'm more of a realist.

I still think it is a GOOD thing...I'm just looking down the road and wondering what will happen. At the same time, if the population is hit hard, maybe that and other methods of control can get them under control.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
Heron

Dap makes a good point and it may be true; Look at all the pesticides we spray for insects and their always bouncing back.

A few years ago the State was going after the EAB by cutting down all the Ash trees they could.

The state and utilities were pretty successful but a few hold-outs wouldn't allow them on their land to cut down any Ash trees healthy or otherwise.

Well you know those trees died since they were never sprayed and this year with a heavy ice storm those trees crashed into the power lines which made a real mess of things in some areas before Christmas. Some folks were with-out power for Christmas and had lots of food go bad and had to go to hotels.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #15

Yikes...sorry to hear that, sprucetree.

I have to admit that I'd be resistant to have any ash cut down...especially if they were healthy. Then again, I guess if there were no trees to support EAB, they'd die out, and the next generation of ash would grow up undisturbed.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #16
Fox

I like the ice coating everything down here, all the dead limbs get cleaned out of the tree tops.

Hey dapjwy, I stirred that compost heap yesterday, the birds were hopping all around in it today.

ww
Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post

Hey dapjwy, I stirred that compost heap yesterday, the birds were hopping all around in it today.

ww
You've got me thinking about creating something like that for the bluebirds...but I don't know how they'd find it once I exposed the treats.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #18
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

So we got down to 6 one night, then 11 the next, with windchills to -5 that first night. My plants seem to have survived; I sprayed some with Freez-pruf, which may or may not have made any difference. Interestingly, with the netting left over my pond this year instead of removed as I usually do, my pond did not freeze at all, even on the edges! I still have green lily pads growing in it. In past years, it has frozen up to 70% of the surface after a prolonged stint under 32, so I am sure it is the netting, but I was really surprised how much of an effect it has had.

So will these temperatures really cut down on the ticks and chiggers for next year? God, I sure hope so! What about the rest of the critters - all of the caterpillars and cocoons, and other misc larvae of our favorites? These are the times I really miss Suunto! Everyone should pay attention this coming season, remember that we had this amazing, record breaking freeze and see if we notice any major changes in our invertebrate populations.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good, thing