Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Dragonflies

John and I went to the Refuge yesterday and saw tons and tons of blue corporal dragonflies. The males are dark blue, the females are not! lol

Photos taken by John.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-male-blue-corporalsmall.jpg   Show Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-male-female-blue-corporalsmall.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
I had to move a large rock today and when I did this very large ant was on the bottom. It was fully a half inch long. There was quite an excavation below where the rock had been. I shook the ant off into the exposed cavity and covered it over with another rock. Was this perhaps a queen?
Attachment 28931Attachment 28932
This does appear to be a queen carpenter ant, Camponotus sp,. possibly Camponotus pennsylvanicus - black carpenter ant (Camponotus pennsylvanicus) - Encyclopedia of Life

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
Pope

Default We have babies!

Last summer we had a lovely praying mantis (who refused all nearly all requests for photos) that spent her days on one of our beautyberry shrubs. Every day I would check to see if she was still with us, and there she would be with her beautiful big eyes.

We hoped she would leave us with some eggs but it wasn't until I was cleaning out the flower bed this spring that I discovered this case.

A few weeks later, I just happened to check as I was packing the car for my trip to Maine. Ta da!!!!! Nymphs galore!
Attached Thumbnails
Show Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-eggcase_4_12a.jpg   Show Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-nymphs_4_12a.jpg  
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Heron

Wow --- Look at all those nymphs! Nice photo!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
Fox

I can't believe there was a time when spiders creeped me out. This is an itsy-bitsy lost in the jungle that is my arm hair, as well as on the spigot handle on which I found him and returned him (included to show scale).

Show Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-scarr-038.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-scarr-041.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-scarr-045.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-scarr-048.jpg
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #26
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
I can't believe there was a time when spiders creeped me out. This is an itsy-bitsy lost in the jungle that is my arm hair, as well as on the spigot handle on which I found him and returned him (included to show scale).

Attachment 29022Attachment 29023Attachment 29024Attachment 29025
From its pose in the first image, it looks as if it were trying to 'balloon' its way out of there - see Photos of Utah Spiders, Ballooning immature Wolf Spider, October,17-2005, Antelope Island, Davis County, Utah and "Flying" Spiders Check the Weather First : Zooillogix

Just a guess, but yours looks like a juvenile fishing spider (family Pisauridae).

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
Fox

Default Redlegs

I'm seeing a lot of these guys in a friend's yard, especially on his Rhododendrons.
Show Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-redleg1.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-redleg2.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-redleg3.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-redleg4.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-redleg5.jpg
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #28
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of these guys in a friend's yard, especially on his Rhododendrons.
Attachment 29084Attachment 29085Attachment 29086Attachment 29087Attachment 29088
Quote:
Attachment 29084Attachment 29085Attachment 29086Attachment 29087Attachment 29088
March flies (Diptera: Bibionidae); likely Bibio femoratus - see Bibio femoratus (female) photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com for an image. As March flies, they seem to have overslept - maybe yours are April flies ...

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
March flies (Diptera: Bibionidae); likely Bibio femoratus - see Bibio femoratus (female) photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com for an image. As March flies, they seem to have overslept - maybe yours are April flies ...
That's unusual. Considering the winter that wasn't, I'd have expected them to wake up early...
Thanks again, suunto.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
Fox

Default Some pollinators...

...on teeny, tiny Holly flowers.

Show Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-pollinator-036.jpgShow Off Your Bug Photos here - 2012!-pollinator-042.jpg

Tags
2012, bee, beneficial insects, bug, bug pictures, bugs, halictine, halictine bee, insect, insect photos, insects, nature, photographs, photos, pictures, praying mantis, show, sphecid, sphecid wasp, spider, spiders, wasp