Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Co-Administrator

beetle1 Where is the Love for Bugs?

The Xerces Society
For Invertebrate Conservation

Where Is the Love for Bugs?

By: Rachel Nuwer, The New York Times
October 13, 2011
Quote:
“If human beings were to disappear tomorrow, the world would go on with little change,” the biologist E.O. Wilson once wrote. But if invertebrates were to vanish, he said, “I doubt that the human species could last more than a few months.”

Although Dr. Wilson has been appealing for invertebrate conservation for decades, few policy makers or environmental groups have taken heed. But a growing number of scientists are determined to change that.
Quote:
Given their roles in maintaining a healthy planet, the invertebrates’ relative absence from these lists and the resulting lack of conservation support is “markedly inappropriate,” the researchers write.

So why the lack of love for bugs? To hear the researchers tell it, the reasons can be broken down into what one might call the seven deadly sins of invertebrate conservation, with blame shared by both scientists and society at large.

For starters, ...

http://www.xerces.org/2011/10/13/whe...love-for-bugs/

Last edited by Cirsium; 11-22-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added link
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

You've piqued my curiousity, but there is no link to follow.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
You've piqued my curiousity, but there is no link to follow.
Fixed.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirsium View Post
Fixed.
Thanks.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Many species of insects have become extinct without anyone noticing...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
A Bee's Best Friend

Excellent article. The current investment into encouraging citizen scientists is certainly one way to go. Digital cameras have helped people get a closer look at these creatures and given the layman a way to feel some connection to biodiversity.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Grub

When I was younger, I HATED bugs (everything except butterflies and caterpillars). As I've grown and learned more about them, I realize how valuable they are, and I view them with wonderment. Bugs are still definitely not my favorite things, but now I welcome them, knowing the ecological functions they are providing.

While not everyone has had or will have the biological education I've had, education nonetheless is still a clear route to understanding and appreciation. I take every chance I get to teach someone (especially kids) about nature-related concepts. We who have the knowledge and passion can spread it through our peers and work towards making it common sense to protect invertebrates along with vertebrates.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
The Bug Whisperer

Check out "For Love of Insects" by Thomas Eisner - For Love of Insects - Thomas Eisner | Harvard University Press - readily available on Amazon.com

Also, I recommend "An Inordinate Fondness for Beetles" by Evans & Bellamy - An Inordinate Fondness for Beetles - Arthur V. Evans, C. L. Bellamy, Lisa Charles Watson - Google Books

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Great Horned Owl

Default Rusty Patched Bumblebee

Did anyone notice the reference to the bumblebee we have been attempting to track??? Perhaps next summer one of our members will make it 14 sites that can be protected?

"The Xerces Society is a big fan of citizen science. Thanks to volunteers combing their backyards and community gardens, the rusty-patched bumble bee — a prolific pollinator that is currently in steep decline — was identified in 13 new sites that can now be protected."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

After reading
Quote:
Thanks to volunteers combing their backyards and community gardens, the rusty-patched bumble bee — a prolific pollinator that is currently in steep decline — was identified in 13 new sites that can now be protected."
I did a search and found a map showing where they have been actually sighted as of 2009 anyway.....Looks like I'm JUST within its range here in Michigan http://pollinators.nbii.gov/document...distr_Full.jpg

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, love