Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Default An Interview with The Karner Blue Butterfly

If I Go Extinct I Swear I Will Take As Many Humans With Me As I Can

Quote:
I think people always expected that when the time came for us to go extinct, we'd go down all quietlike—that just because we're small blue butterflies with a wingspan of an inch, we wouldn't put up a fight. Well, I can assure you that before my kind dies out there will be a reckoning. Blood will run in the streets. Human blood.
I thought this was funny if not a little too drawn out to make their point.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I was amused and.... I know for sure I've got some friends who will be too. I liked this part the best, "I guarantee the majority of you will die slowly and painfully, like my brothers who starved to death because you just had to go and disrupt our habitat. And you know what that means? It means we are going to tie you down and force you to ingest toxic chemicals that methodically eat away at your insides.
We already got all the poisons from a bunch of hardware stores, and we're mixing them together as we speak."
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

On Facebook, the Xerces Society reposted it.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Heron

I had mixed feelings, I imagined cartoon butterflies dropping bombs on Wall street and all the business types running for cover with their briefcases covering their heads. The English language has so many descriptive words without using the F bomb.Articles like that are a guilty pleasure but knowing that wild lupine is the host plant for Karners isn't really helpful. Using the word "Wild" always gives the low information gardeners/teachers/politicians/landscapers/ecologists and others who enjoy butterflies or would like to help them the idea that it's a weed and will take over when it actually will flourish and prevent erosion on sand dunes. The Karners are starving because the garden centers sell a lupine cultivar that doesn't attract them. Explaining that native lupines attract native butterfly's is simple and direct.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

The f-bomb was a little much. That article's definitely gonna be a major turn off to most and it was more than a little drawn out but what amused me about it was the extremely unorthodox way it tried reaching out to a different audience.... an audience that's not going to be visiting sites like this.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I actually got a couple shots of a small blue up here in Michigan although it doesn't appear very blue in the capture.
An Interview with The Karner Blue Butterfly-dsc_4599.jpg
Karner or northern blue? Rare or common?
An Interview with The Karner Blue Butterfly-dsc_4604.jpg
I run into these every now and then.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, butterfly, interview, karner