Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Healthy hives thrive in cities.

Chicago's hives on the green roof at city hall is featured. The cities pesticide free growing policy is also mentioned.

Newsvine - Amid bee die-off, healthy hives thrive in cities

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Thanks for posting this, Gloria - I saw the article myself yesterday, but didn't get around to posting it...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Thanks for posting this, Gloria - I saw the article myself yesterday, but didn't get around to posting it...
The question of whether the honey bee has had an adverse effect upon the bumblebee still appears unanswered, I've read. Now, as honey bees in today 's parlance would be labelled as aliens, why be so concerned for their healthful regeneration? I can understand a lover of honey having a vested interest, or one who generates their income being so, but why if one is a lover of native wildlife??

Just a question. I'd like to know more about the possible adverse effect alien honey bees have upon our native populations of bees.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

My interest is purely that of health for bees. I do not like to see the same mistakes made with native bees used for agriculture. When man starts rounding up creatures and working them bad things happen. We need to see the mistakes and be less harmful in our interactions.
From my own garden after a few years of natives being planted for the native bees the honey bees have almost disappeared.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
My interest is purely that of health for bees. I do not like to see the same mistakes made with native bees used for agriculture. When man starts rounding up creatures and working them bad things happen. We need to see the mistakes and be less harmful in our interactions.
From my own garden after a few years of natives being planted for the native bees the honey bees have almost disappeared.
Oh, I agree with you there. I'm concerned now about B. impatiens, as they are being shipped to California and used as were honey bees. Will we ever learn?

However, my other question was directed toward a different consideration: just as alien plants can have an adverse effect upon an ecosystem, is the same thing possible with the introduction of alien fauna? I think we all know the answer to that question, so now, when the honey bee is declining and the native bees are pollinating with less competition, why should a wildlife lover be concerned with the state of the alien honey bee - unless that person has a vested economic interest in them?

Oracle at Delphi
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
However, my other question was directed toward a different consideration: just as alien plants can have an adverse effect upon an ecosystem, is the same thing possible with the introduction of alien fauna? I think we all know the answer to that question, so now, when the honey bee is declining and the native bees are pollinating with less competition, why should a wildlife lover be concerned with the state of the alien honey bee - unless that person has a vested economic interest in them?
Good point. Fortunately the problems that the non-native honey bees are having has cast a spotlight on just how important our native bees are to us. Like many of the things that nature provides we have been taking the native bees for granted.

I think honey bees should be viewed in the context of an agricultural commodity, rather than as a part of our natural environment. Commercial interests will do what's necessary to support the availability of honey bee pollination. Efforts to support natural ecosystems would be best served by addressing the needs of native bees and other native pollinators.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Good point. Fortunately the problems that the non-native honey bees are having has cast a spotlight on just how important our native bees are to us. Like many of the things that nature provides we have been taking the native bees for granted.

I think honey bees should be viewed in the context of an agricultural commodity, rather than as a part of our natural environment. Commercial interests will do what's necessary to support the availability of honey bee pollination. Efforts to support natural ecosystems would be best served by addressing the needs of native bees and other native pollinators.
Hence, I find that I'm never overjoyed when I hear of successful honey bee hives in new places = like in the inner city!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 08-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
A Bee's Best Friend

More bees in the news. Chicago takes bees seriously. Not enough talk about natives though I did see a couple of bumbles in that newsspot.
Thinking about what Jack has said,honey bees competeing with native bees. The Lurie has so many honey bees and exotic wasps that it would make a good place to see what else thrives there. I know butterflies do well, Monarchs have been see in such mass as to cover entire 4 ft agastache plants. Need to use daughters really nice camera and see what I can find. If the film student grand daughter will tag along a bit of video would help.

Latest Videos CBS Chicago

Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
More bees in the news. Chicago takes bees seriously. Not enough talk about natives though I did see a couple of bumbles in that newsspot.
Thinking about what Jack has said,honey bees competeing with native bees. The Lurie has so many honey bees and exotic wasps that it would make a good place to see what else thrives there. I know butterflies do well, Monarchs have been see in such mass as to cover entire 4 ft agastache plants. Need to use daughters really nice camera and see what I can find. If the film student grand daughter will tag along a bit of video would help.

Latest Videos CBS Chicago
It must be great to live where the natural world is given such consideration. Though Mass is progressive in many areas, ecology isn't one of them.

Oracle at Delphi

Tags
bee, bee conservation, bee hives, bees, chicago, cities, city, conservation, conservation policies, die off, die-off, healthy, healthy bees, healthy hives, hive, hives, pesticide free, policy, thrive