Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Wasp wasps, the unpopular pollinators

We are all having such fun with the bumblebee thread that I thought we should have a wasp thread, too. I have many species of wasps who come to my flowers, as well as obscure species of native bees who are hard to identify. In my experience, they are non-aggressive, allowing me to wave a camera at them with no show of violence as long as I don't interfere with their nectaring.

So, taking time to smell the flowers:
wasps, the unpopular pollinators-wasp-id-butterfly-weed-july-2011-web.jpg
I don't know who this one is. I believe it is in the thread waisted wasp family, but that is as far as I got. I am open to suggestions. It is about an inch and a half long (you can judge by the butterfly weed blooms)

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-wasp-ammophila-nigricans-smelling-asters.jpg
Ammophila nigricans, on Eastern star aster last fall. I have a bunch of these guys. They seem to like asters, joe-pye and zinnias.

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-wasp-polistes-carolina-goldenrod-web.jpg
Polestes carolina, per suunto, a native paper wasp. Mobs the goldenrod in the fall.

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-scolia-nobiliata-best-mountain-mint-web.jpg
This is a much smaller wasp, Scolia nobilitata (I have loads more shots of him and am reasonably certain of the id). Loves the mountain mint.

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-11-potter-wasp-pollenfor-web.jpg
Potters wasps, covered in my joe-pye weed pollen, proving wasps are pollenators.

Post your cool wasp photos here, esp of wasps in your garden. If we get a good collection of photos, esp if suunto ids them, it will be a useful resource.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

turttle,

Great idea for a thread! ...and you've got quite a variety to start us off!

I've seen wasps attracted to several of my natives...and I've never had any signs of aggression towards me either.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
We are all having such fun with the bumblebee thread that I thought we should have a wasp thread, too. I have many species of wasps who come to my flowers, as well as obscure species of native bees who are hard to identify. In my experience, they are non-aggressive, allowing me to wave a camera at them with no show of violence as long as I don't interfere with their nectaring.

So, taking time to smell the flowers:
Attachment 25059
I don't know who this one is. I believe it is in the thread waisted wasp family, but that is as far as I got. I am open to suggestions. It is about an inch and a half long (you can judge by the butterfly weed blooms)

Attachment 25060
Ammophila nigricans, on Eastern star aster last fall. I have a bunch of these guys. They seem to like asters, joe-pye and zinnias.

Attachment 25061
Polestes carolina, per suunto, a native paper wasp. Mobs the goldenrod in the fall.

Attachment 25062
This is a much smaller wasp, Scolia nobilitata (I have loads more shots of him and am reasonably certain of the id). Loves the mountain mint.

Attachment 25063
Potters wasps, covered in my joe-pye weed pollen, proving wasps are pollenators.

Post your cool wasp photos here, esp of wasps in your garden. If we get a good collection of photos, esp if suunto ids them, it will be a useful resource.
Here I am, up to my a** in bumblebees and you start a wasp thread! Don't ya just love a good challenge? Should we start a beetle thread too??

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Should we start a beetle thread too??

Do you KNOW how many kinds of beetles there are in the world!?!?!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Do you KNOW how many kinds of beetles there are in the world!?!?!
I KNOW!!!! I was making a point! and I was being facetious.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Fox

Oooh, I can do this!
wasps, the unpopular pollinators-pondie-064.jpgwasps, the unpopular pollinators-pondie-067a.jpg
This first one is a Great Golden Digger Wasp (Sphex ichneumoneus), which you may recall from Jack and my posts in the Bugs on Blooms thread.

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-european-paper-wasp-polistes-dominula-04.jpg
This is a European Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula). Classified as an invasive, but a wasp nonetheless.

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-waspy-16.jpgwasps, the unpopular pollinators-amrf-009a.jpg
A Mason Wasp (Monobia quadridens). In the second picture the wasp is entering an abandoned Carpenter Bee tunnel, which it uses for it's own nest.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I KNOW!!!! I was making a point! and I was being facetious.
~smile~ I should've known!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #8

Excellent photos, Bulu! ...but we are starting to expect that of you.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

My reply from a few days ago got lost, apparently.

I have mason wasps, too. I just identified it, and rushed to post my photo and found Bulu' had scooped me. I should have just checked here, first.
wasps, the unpopular pollinators-mason-wasp-monobia-quadridens-web.jpg

I identified the wasp in my first posting, the one on the butterfly weed as Sphex nudus, the katydid wasp. Given how loud my yard is with katydids, this would seem to be the right habitat for them.

I found a new species on my joe-pye weed today (a joe-pye microcosm, like the milkweed microcosm; it is amazingly popular), a blue black, thread-waisted wasp with white markings on the thorax. I believe it is most likely Eremnophila aureonotata. It is common in the south; the female digs a burrow and provisions it with caterpillars.
wasps, the unpopular pollinators-wasp-blossom-facing-camera-web.jpg

Doesn't anyone else think wasps are interesting? It is amazing how many new kinds I find now that I am looking. I have a bunch of photos of small wasps vs native bees that I haven't identified yet. Very cool.
Attached Thumbnails
wasps, the unpopular pollinators-p1080031.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Salamander

I'm a big fan of wasps.
We have this amazing iridescent greenish one that comes by me once in a while.
Great animals!
philip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aureonotata, eremnophila, eremnophila aureonotata, european paper wasp, golden digger wasp, insect, insects, katydid wasp, mason wasp, monobia, monobia quadridens, paper wasp, polestes carolina, polistes, polistes dominula, pollination, pollinator, pollinators, potters wasps, sphex ichneumoneus, sphex nudus, unpopular, wasp, wasps