Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
IThis is a Blue-winged wasp, ake Digger wasp, Scolia dubia.
Very cool looking. I hope to increase the biodiversity in our yard and get more critters like you seem to be doing.

Perhaps we should resurrect the "Documenting Biodiversity" thread as well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #42
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

A paper wasp who seems to be eating an aphid.

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-paper-wasp-polistes-metricus-dying-plant-eating-aphids-web.jpg

And another, after rain,

wasps, the unpopular pollinators-paper-wasp-drying-off-after-rain-web.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #43

I seem to be the only one posting wasp photos, but I will muddle on...

An eastern cicada killer, not the best photo, but I was supposed to be taking photos of the horse my daughter was riding and not the wasp.
Attached Thumbnails
wasps, the unpopular pollinators-wasp-very-large-stable-web.jpg  

Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #44
Official Plant Nerd

I know how it goes.... you get fixated on something and can't get enough. I've been trying to get a photo of a solid black wasp for the longest time. So far.... it takes off the minute I get ready to click or I'd be adding it to your wasp photos. I like your photos. I don't think they're "not the best" at all.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #45
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
I seem to be the only one posting wasp photos, but I will muddle on....
Keep muddling. I haven't had much free time this summer to play around with the photography but I'm sure enjoying your photos.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #46

maybe I just have an excess of wasps around my property, but I find them fascinating in their diversity. I have never found them to be aggressive, except the yellow jackets in California.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #47

Yet another new wasp. I believe this is a grass-carrying wasp, Isodontia mexicana, common in NC. They line the cavities they put their prey/larva in with stems of grass.
Attached Thumbnails
wasps, the unpopular pollinators-grass-carrying-wasp-isodontia-mexicana-sedum.jpg   wasps, the unpopular pollinators-grass-carrying-wasp-note-wing-color.jpg  

Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #48
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Yet another new wasp. I believe this is a grass-carrying wasp, Isodontia mexicana, common in NC. They line the cavities they put their prey/larva in with stems of grass.
The second one may be a different species....

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #49

I believe they are of the same individual. I took them within moments of each other, following a wasp around the same bunch of flowers.... There could have been a second wasp I didn't see, however. I assumed the differences were due to lighting.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #50
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
assumed the differences were due to lighting.
Could be, but I am wondering how you identified the wasp(s) as Isodontia mexicana? Compare the image of an Isodontia mexicana at Sphecid - Podalonia? - Isodontia mexicana - BugGuide.Net with that of another similar appearing sphecid at Thread-waisted Wasp - Eremnophila aureonotata - BugGuide.Net, looking at relative wing length and shape of the abdominal gaster.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aureonotata, eremnophila, eremnophila aureonotata, european paper wasp, golden digger wasp, insect, insects, katydid wasp, mason wasp, monobia, monobia quadridens, paper wasp, polestes carolina, polistes, polistes dominula, pollination, pollinator, pollinators, potters wasps, sphex ichneumoneus, sphex nudus, unpopular, wasp, wasps