Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

This winter, probably, I will girdle it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
This winter, probably, I will girdle it.
If you put a girdle on it, you should probably put panty hose on it too.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
If you put a girdle on it, you should probably put panty hose on it too.
I aint gonna buy pantyhose for a soon-to-be-dead tree!

Ya know jack, I have an idea for your avatar:

...because you really can be quite a nut at times. ...and you really do seem fond of that little guy.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto

Last edited by dapjwy; 07-26-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: fixing typo
Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Will you two stop flirting and behave yourselves?! If this was school, you'd both be standing in the corner every day. Weren't we supposed to be talkiing about bees???

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attracting Bumble Bees-megachile-face-wings-web.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I have a new bee to add to the list of cool bees in my garden. This one is bumblebee size, and when I first saw the pollen covered ones, I thought they were a new species of bumbles to add to my list. However, this is Megachile xylocopoides, the Carpenter-mimic leaf-cutting bee, in the mason bee family. It is all black, and rather than having pollen baskets on its legs, it carries pollen in the fuzz on the bottom and back of its abdomen and top of its thorax. I watched them getting progressively yellower, leaving, and returning black again, ready for another load (or their friends were). They were all over my sweet joe-pye weed today, and I've never seen them before (or at least never noticed them before, they may have been here). I did not see them visiting any other flowers in my garden today. I have noticed evidence in my garden the past two years, noticeably more this year, maybe because I have more plants to notice on this year, of leaf-cutting activity. My guess is they are nesting in holes in my rotting trees (I have a bunch of snags).
Attached Thumbnails
Attracting Bumble Bees-megachile-xylocopoides-pre-pollen-carpenter-mimic-leaf-cutting-bee.jpg   Attracting Bumble Bees-megachile-pollen-web.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #25
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Will you two stop flirting and behave yourselves?! If this was school, you'd both be standing in the corner every day. Weren't we supposed to be talkiing about bees???

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 25055[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I have a new bee to add to the list of cool bees in my garden. This one is bumblebee size, and when I first saw the pollen covered ones, I thought they were a new species of bumbles to add to my list. However, this is Megachile xylocopoides, the Carpenter-mimic leaf-cutting bee, in the mason bee family. It is all black, and rather than having pollen baskets on its legs, it carries pollen in the fuzz on the bottom and back of its abdomen and top of its thorax. I watched them getting progressively yellower, leaving, and returning black again, ready for another load (or their friends were). They were all over my sweet joe-pye weed today, and I've never seen them before (or at least never noticed them before, they may have been here). I did not see them visiting any other flowers in my garden today. I have noticed evidence in my garden the past two years, noticeably more this year, maybe because I have more plants to notice on this year, of leaf-cutting activity. My guess is they are nesting in holes in my rotting trees (I have a bunch of snags).
That's a new one for me. All black! Are they solitary bees or social bees??

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
Great Horned Owl

Default Also

Quote:

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 25055[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Ouch!!! Flirting?????? I don't flirt with men. How is it that having fun needs to be called flirting??? Now, where he a she, that would be different...

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #27

Quote:
LOL! I didn't know we were flirting--misbehaving a bit, yes, but I'm taken.

Anyway, he started it! (Seriously, though, we will control ourselves--rein it in a bit and focus on contributing to the site. Scout's honor--not that I was ever a scout.)

Quote:
I have a new bee to add to the list of cool bees in my garden.
Congratulations on your latest addition.

I love the third shot!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #28

Maybe not flirting, maybe more like siblings who can't stop playing "he touched my stuff! in the back seat while driving. You two have been reminding me of my cats who whack each other as they go by just on general principles.

I can't help being a mom and trying to stop the fun before someone gets hurt. It seemed like the tone was heating up a bit from the earlier puns and clever witticisms. Just play nice.

It occurs to me I should have posted my bee photos in the B. affinis thread, which is where I thought I was when I posted it until I was just reading Havalotta's questioning my bee identification. I'll have to post it there too, I guess.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #29

Do you like my new avatar? It seemed suitable for the current bee mania. I call it "big brother is watching you". You get points if you can identify the bee from its face (probably not possible, but you can try - it is one of the ones I have posted)

Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #30
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Maybe not flirting, maybe more like siblings who can't stop playing "he touched my stuff! in the back seat while driving. You two have been reminding me of my cats who whack each other as they go by just on general principles.

I can't help being a mom and trying to stop the fun before someone gets hurt. It seemed like the tone was heating up a bit from the earlier puns and clever witticisms. Just play nice.

It occurs to me I should have posted my bee photos in the B. affinis thread, which is where I thought I was when I posted it until I was just reading Havalotta's questioning my bee identification. I'll have to post it there too, I guess.
Turttle, while you're there, would you double check me on my speculation of what I took pictures of today?

Oracle at Delphi

Tags
attracting, bees, bumble, bumble bees, mason bees, native bees, native plants, osmia lignaria, pollination, solitary bees