Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Do you have Acrobat Reader? You can download it free.
No. I have the adobe reader 9 Maybe it's not strong enough? I did an update on the adobe 9 and that didn't do it either. Ill have to have sonnie pie look at the adobe 10 NEWisc mentioned next time he's in town. After doing an adobe 9 update the computer got MUCH slower at pulling things in. Seems whenever I try to FIX things......
Quote:
hava> do you still have Google's Chrome installed? It's either one of your toolbars or your security that's doing this to you again in IE. Try to go in from that Firefox we added a coupla years ago. Maybe that'll work.
Yes google chrome...Since we've all used the google chrome from the get go none of us ever switched to using the firefox you had added.
I guess you can't teach the old dogs new tricks. I see it's no longer listed in the computers program area.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
A Bee's Best Friend

Philip, I do not see much reason to try and move your Russian Sage. The roots are long and rope like, almost impossible to move without damage. Your garden or the neighbors it would still not be native but is providing for honey bees which Xerces does include in its pollinator information.
Plant a native elsewhere and enjoy.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Philip, I agree with Gloria. I am of the opinion that if I plant lots of natives, too, the few non-natives I have will not cause a lot of harm (so long as I keep them from invading my woods!). I have a Russian sage, and a pineapple sage; both are very popular with the bees, as are my blue mist shrub, lantana, zinnias and marigolds. The bees like the Queen Anne's lace as well, which volunteers rather than getting planted, and I leave it for the black swallowtail cats.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
No, it's a "problem" child just like butterfly bush and a host of others most of us could rattle off without batting an eyelash.
Question...What is your reason for stating that other than it being not native? Something more we should know?
I don't see any signs of it being aggressive and spreading. Mine stays put in a clump.
I Love the airiness and grey tones it adds to the bed.

Ooooo By the way,
I was successful in installing adobe 10 and am now capable of reading the type of links I was having problems with......YEY!!!
Thanks NEWisc for the link

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Salamander

Oh really?

Well, I was more moving it because it's been there for a few years and is starting to get to be massive. I tend to add everything I can get my hands on to the soil, and it seems it's starting to get extremely fertile.

Hmm. I tried pruning it down extremely hard this year, and even then I had to go at it again with the secateurs during the end of spring.
Maybe I'll just try to split it instead, leave a chunk there, move a chunk to somewhere bare.
It's an amazingly popular plant. You can more or less go to it at any time, and find a praying mantis.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Oh really?

Well, I was more moving it because it's been there for a few years and is starting to get to be massive. I tend to add everything I can get my hands on to the soil, and it seems it's starting to get extremely fertile.

Hmm. I tried pruning it down extremely hard this year, and even then I had to go at it again with the secateurs during the end of spring.
Maybe I'll just try to split it instead, leave a chunk there, move a chunk to somewhere bare.
It's an amazingly popular plant. You can more or less go to it at any time, and find a praying mantis.
That popularity you speak of is, I'm confident, the reason why Xerces recommends it in almost every region of the country, and it make the short list of plants to get for pollinators. Now, after reading Tallamy's book, I understand anyone who simply refuses to have an alien on their property. But if pollinator attraction is one's interest, and the only criteria is that a species not be invasive, it appears this is a plant one would be interested in.

Controversial subject, sure. One worth having? sure. Each person's individual decision? For sure.

I'm not surprised at all by your description of its attractiveness to pollinators...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Now, after reading Tallamy's book, I understand anyone who simply refuses to have an alien on their property.
You understand me? Yay.

Quote:

Controversial subject, sure. One worth having? sure. Each person's individual decision? For sure.
I agree.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
You understand me? Yay.
No

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
No
How's that Japanese Maple doing that's on your property?

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
How's that Japanese Maple doing that's on your property?
It's still getting under my nerves like someone else I know...but, I just can't seem to get rid of it yet.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attracting, bees, bumble, bumble bees, mason bees, native bees, native plants, osmia lignaria, pollination, solitary bees