Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #331
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
What are your adjoining properties like? You can all pretty much imagine mine in Brooklyn. So much concrete. But I have a family house in Bethesda, MD that we rent out. I am inspired to do some more landscaping and eliminate more lawn.

The adjoining properties are pretty typical suburban, however there are still interesting wildlife sightings. We had a black snake living in the hollow of a tree in my front yard.
This was in response to Dap, but i'll answer the questions you ask as well. I live in a rural community on the edge of a tourist town along the Merrimack River basin in Northeastern Mass. My neighbors to my right and left are not the worst one could have, but they are big lawn folks, with the sit down mowers heard from all sides each weekend. One of them has an in-law apartment built in and the owner's father builds bird houses that have about eight holes in each that fill each Spring with house sparrows that are the scourge of the neighborhood. He has built four of them, and he has them located on the corners of his two acre lot. His backyard is treeless. I gingerly and smilingly mentioned to him that these birds being attracted and housed are detrimental to the ecology of the neighborhood, but I was pretty much nicely told to mind my own business.

My neighbor to my left has a massive lawn with three Sugar Maples growing in the lawn. I remember when he was planting them many years ago that he was pissed that the red-leafed Norway Maples were no longer legal to plant in Mass, and that he could care less what birds or insects would suffer had he planted them; hence, the sugar maples are there because the aliens he wanted to plant were unavailable.

Nevertheless, I do not blame these neighbors for the paucity of insects in the neighborhood. I think that problem is much larger than what my close neighbors are doing, as I must say I have never seen them fertilizing the lawn or putting down any insecticide. Indeed, I think it is a nationwide problem.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affinis, bee, bee identification, bees, bombus, bombus affinis, bombus rufocinctus, bombus ternarius, bumble bee, bumblebee, bumblebees, color, coloring, flying insects, identification, identify, identify bees, insects, lookout, native bees, rufocinctus, ternarius, watching