Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #321
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
It was an exciting event! Not only from the point of being visited by a rare bumble bee but also also as an affirmation that establishing native plants in our yards has real ecological value.
Congratulations.

...and thank you for the encouraging words as well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #322
Great Horned Owl

Default Bumble Bee facing mass extinction???

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tinction-study

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #323
Grub

Plant more natives, talk to anyone who will listen about ecological gardening. It starts to sink in. My mother-in-law now grows milkweed, when just a few short years she swore at it as she yanked it out. Many gardeners here in NYC plant natives where they can. And I’m going to start looking more closely at bumblebees for the single rusty patch thanks to you guys. The news is so discouraging, but that just means that we have to work harder and faster. And don bee costumes and flap our wings! Okay, maybe not that...
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Plant more natives, talk to anyone who will listen about ecological gardening. It starts to sink in. My mother-in-law now grows milkweed, when just a few short years she swore at it as she yanked it out. Many gardeners here in NYC plant natives where they can. And Iím going to start looking more closely at bumblebees for the single rusty patch thanks to you guys. The news is so discouraging, but that just means that we have to work harder and faster. And don bee costumes and flap our wings! Okay, maybe not that...
Good to hear!

Very inspirational--until I read about donning a be costume.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #325
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Good to hear!

Very inspirational--until I read about donning a be costume.
I love the upbeat attitude, as it is probably all we have aside from planting accordingly in our back and front yards. Nevertheless, this is scary information, and I've been noticing that, even with all the pollinating plants I have already on my property, I easily see each summer the decline in all insects. These are scary times...

Oracle at Delphi
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #326
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I love the upbeat attitude, as it is probably all we have aside from planting accordingly in our back and front yards. Nevertheless, this is scary information, and I've been noticing that, even with all the pollinating plants I have already on my property, I easily see each summer the decline in all insects. These are scary times...
Agreed about the scary times. I recently went to an Ecological Plant Alliance conference. There were many people working in public lands telling their experiences. The overriding them was that their budgets weren't big enough to have enough crew to battle all the invasives on their land. I am always curious to know whether I could "adopt" a patch of city land to landscape. Would the city be relieved to have one less space to manage, or would they tell me to buzz off? Do I even have time to deal with the bureaucracy? Can I just grab a patch and plant it without asking permission? Like guerrilla gardening. Maybe we need to fan out of our own gardens. This is probably topic for a different thread.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #327
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Agreed about the scary times. I recently went to an Ecological Plant Alliance conference. There were many people working in public lands telling their experiences. The overriding them was that their budgets weren't big enough to have enough crew to battle all the invasives on their land. I am always curious to know whether I could "adopt" a patch of city land to landscape. Would the city be relieved to have one less space to manage, or would they tell me to buzz off? Do I even have time to deal with the bureaucracy? Can I just grab a patch and plant it without asking permission? Like guerrilla gardening. Maybe we need to fan out of our own gardens. This is probably topic for a different thread.
I like it: guerrilla gardening!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 02-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #328
Grub

I really need to find the relevant state agencies and their public forums who think wholescale pesticide spraying is the answer to mosquito and tick problems. Both carry some scary diseases but PPE is surely a better solution than the spraying and habitat destruction.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I am not sure if I have noticed a decline in insects on our property or not, but I am concerned that I will notice this year.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #330
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I am not sure if I have noticed a decline in insects on our property or not, but I am concerned that I will notice this year.
What are your adjoining properties like? You can all pretty much imagine mine in Brooklyn. So much concrete. But I have a family house in Bethesda, MD that we rent out. I am inspired to do some more landscaping and eliminate more lawn.

The adjoining properties are pretty typical suburban, however there are still interesting wildlife sightings. We had a black snake living in the hollow of a tree in my front yard.

Tags
affinis, bee, bee identification, bees, bombus, bombus affinis, bombus rufocinctus, bombus ternarius, bumble bee, bumblebee, bumblebees, color, coloring, flying insects, identification, identify, identify bees, insects, lookout, native bees, rufocinctus, ternarius, watching