Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #301
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I'm not surprised. Down here in Florida, the big box stores are selling gardening plants that have boldly marked on their labels that they are treated with chemicals that have long been known to be damaging to bees.

Quite discouraging...
Jack,

Just to clarify:

They are required to label them (and state that it is harmful to bees) OR
(much more likely) they proudly state that they have been treated (and no mention is made of the harmful effects of the chemical)?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #302
Hippie Gardener

Here in Michigan, I've seen them labeled something like this: "Treated to help reduce damage by insects and diseases". Putting a positive spin on it and not mentioning that the treatment is harmful to ALL insects, not just undesirable ones.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #303
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Here in Michigan, I've seen them labeled something like this: "Treated to help reduce damage by insects and diseases". Putting a positive spin on it and not mentioning that the treatment is harmful to ALL insects, not just undesirable ones.
Yes, that is pretty much what is happening here, too. A positive spin is put on the chemical and its efficacy, and they proclaim proudly that the ingredient is included in the mixture. In Massachusetts we have strict state laws about the sale of many pesticides, so I'm rather stunned by the laxity of laws protecting nature and people here.

One good thing: I got my first butterfly in my little pollinator/butterfly garden today. It reminded me of one member here (I forget whom) told me when I was first converting my lawn to meadow. He/she said: Plant them and they will come! Now if I could get some people here in this community to stop spraying for termites (there's no wood in these double wides) and to stop spraying their lawns for weeds...

We're outnumbered!!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #304
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Yes, that is pretty much what is happening here, too. A positive spin is put on the chemical and its efficacy, and they proclaim proudly that the ingredient is included in the mixture. In Massachusetts we have strict state laws about the sale of many pesticides, so I'm rather stunned by the laxity of laws protecting nature and people here.

One good thing: I got my first butterfly in my little pollinator/butterfly garden today. It reminded me of one member here (I forget whom) told me when I was first converting my lawn to meadow. He/she said: Plant them and they will come! Now if I could get some people here in this community to stop spraying for termites (there's no wood in these double wides) and to stop spraying their lawns for weeds...

We're outnumbered!!!!
We sure are outnumbered, Jack! As I've said before, my little yard/garden is an island in a sea of chemlawns. Yay for your butterfly!!! See? They find the "good stuff" when we make it available.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #305
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
We sure are outnumbered, Jack! As I've said before, my little yard/garden is an island in a sea of chemlawns. Yay for your butterfly!!! See? They find the "good stuff" when we make it available.
Here's some good news!!!
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/s...pgtype=article

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #306
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
That is good news.

Now that I'm more active on Facebook than I ever was before, I hope to use social media to help promote awareness.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affinis, bee, bee identification, bees, bombus, bombus affinis, bombus rufocinctus, bombus ternarius, bumble bee, bumblebee, bumblebees, color, coloring, flying insects, identification, identify, identify bees, insects, lookout, native bees, rufocinctus, ternarius, watching