Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Salamander

My father is a beekeeper, so the grand-kids are pretty good at knowing the difference between a wasp, bee, honeybee, bumblebee, etc. (much better than I am!)

If an insect flies and buzzes, and has even the slightest amount of yellow, most people call it a bee, swat and swing at it and then worry about being 'bit', at which time the grand-kids will launch into a mini-lecture on honeybee anatomy, insect (and human) behavior and, quite often, grammar as well.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
My father is a beekeeper, so the grand-kids are pretty good at knowing the difference between a wasp, bee, honeybee, bumblebee, etc. (much better than I am!)

If an insect flies and buzzes, and has even the slightest amount of yellow, most people call it a bee, swat and swing at it and then worry about being 'bit', at which time the grand-kids will launch into a mini-lecture on honeybee anatomy, insect (and human) behavior and, quite often, grammar as well.
Ah, I love those kids! That's education!!!! and proper grammar? that's the frosting on the cake, especially as I'm an English teacher.

We need more kids like that, which means we need more environments like the one they were raised in...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

LOL! Great story...thanks for the smile.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
...and proper grammar?...I'm an English teacher .
Quote:
...we need more environments like the one they were raised in...

How about "...we need more environments like the one in which they were raised."? ...Tsk, tsk, tsk, ending a sentence with a preposition!

(jack, I could not resist...that is all in jest...and I must admit that I end sentences with preposition, too. I *really* hope I didn't just open the floodgates for an attack on my grammar and spelling mistakes!)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I know a good joke about ending a sentence in a preposition, but I won't repeat it here in this esteemed company!

Living in the south after moving here from the north it is a constant battle with our teenager using the colloquial grammer "We're fixin' to . . ." "Where are you at?" etc. She brushes it off because 'everybody says that'. It doesn't stop us from trying though, but now she point out to US with great glee when our grammar isn't perfect.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I know a good joke about ending a sentence in a preposition, but I won't repeat it here in this esteemed company!
I don't know it, but my imagination went wild. Does the sentence end in "off" by any chance?

Quote:
...but now she point out to US with great glee when our grammar isn't perfect.
At least it is sinking in!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
WG Fundraising Coordinator

No, it doen't end in off, it ends in at (the first time around, the second time around in the joke adds an expletive after the word at.)

I thought it might be sinking in also. At least that's what I'd like to think.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
No, it doen't end in off, it ends in at (the first time around, the second time around in the joke adds an expletive after the word at.)
I put the expletive *before* the preposition, my mistake.

My curiousity got the better of me, so I did an internet search and came up with two versions of that joke. ~smile~ I like the Southern woman/Northern woman one best.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post

How about "...we need more environments like the one in which they were raised."? ...Tsk, tsk, tsk, ending a sentence with a preposition!

(jack, I could not resist...that is all in jest...and I must admit that I end sentences with preposition, too. I *really* hope I didn't just open the floodgates for an attack on my grammar and spelling mistakes!)
Dap, the ellipsis at the end of the sentence meant there was more but that I wasn't going to state it, as it was easily inferred anyway. I never ended the sentence. But, you can correct me any time. I'm always correcting my students, so it gives me a feel for what they are experiencing.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Dap, the ellipsis at the end of the sentence meant there was more but that I wasn't going to state it, as it was easily inferred anyway. I never ended the sentence. But, you can correct me any time. I'm always correcting my students, so it gives me a feel for what they are experiencing.
Ok, ellipsis noted. You were not wrong...I guess.

Tags
attract, landscape, pollinators