Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/)
-   -   Milkweed Microcosm (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/8651-milkweed-microcosm.html)

Bulucanagria 06-27-2011 07:37 PM

Milkweed Microcosm

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some of the nyriad insects that I found in one small patch of blossoming Milkweed. I wasn't able to get good pictures of all the ones I saw and I'm sure I wasn't able to see all the ones that were there. Is there another plant that's as useful to so many creatures as Milkweed (not a rhetorical question)?

Attachment 24329Attachment 24331Attachment 24332Attachment 24334Attachment 24335

Bulucanagria 06-27-2011 07:39 PM

A Few More

4 Attachment(s)
It doesn't stop there, folks.

Attachment 24336Attachment 24337Attachment 24338Attachment 24339

dapjwy 06-27-2011 07:59 PM

Great pictures! ...and great thread!

Way to go, Bulu!

I did see quite a few different insects on a golden Alexandra that is growing on the very corner of the property along the shoulder of the road. I'm trying to get start a patch in my hedgerow under the power lines (maybe "hedge"row is not quite right--I doubt I'll put many woodies there).

Not as many critters as you've got...pictures to follow. No time now. Someone remind me if I don't post them. ;)

dapjwy 06-27-2011 09:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few photos as promised.

There were not nearly as many different pollinators as your milkweed microcosm has, but, had I stuck around longer, I'd like to think others would've happened along.

suunto 06-28-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulucanagria (Post 92903)
Here are some of the nyriad insects that I found in one small patch of blossoming Milkweed. I wasn't able to get good pictures of all the ones I saw and I'm sure I wasn't able to see all the ones that were there. Is there another plant that's as useful to so many creatures as Milkweed (not a rhetorical question)?

Attachment 24329Attachment 24331Attachment 24332Attachment 24334Attachment 24335

A nice assortment; including a small milkweed bug (Lygaeus kalmii; Hemiptera/Heteroptera: Lygaeidae), a hover/flower fly (Diptera: Syrphidae), a milkweed longhorn beetle (Tetraopes sp.; Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) a monarch caterpillar, and a flesh fly (Diptera: Sarcophagidae)!

havalotta 06-28-2011 10:11 AM

WOW, Lots of interest there!
Wonder what the little yellow sticky things are on the box-elder bugs feet.
The 2nd one in your 2nd post looks like some sort of an ant mimic.

suunto 06-28-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulucanagria (Post 92905)

Another nice group! A sweat bee (Hymenoptera: Halictidae), a picture-winged fly (Diptera: Ulidiidae; likely Delphinia picta), a lady beetle (Brachiacantha ursina; Coleoptera: Coccinellidae), and another lady beetle (likely Cycloneda munda) along with a tiny unidentified fly.

havalotta 06-28-2011 10:18 AM

Oh It's a small milkweed bug (Lygaeus kalmii; Hemiptera/Heteroptera: Lygaeidae) My mistake.
I see they have the red pattern more INTO the wing area than a box elder has. Google Image Result for http://www.unexco.com/box-milk.jpg
But I'm still wondering what's on its feet?

suunto 06-28-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 92912)
Here are a few photos as promised.

There were not nearly as many different pollinators as your milkweed microcosm has, but, had I stuck around longer, I'd like to think others would've happened along.

Other than a few ants, the only insect that I can see well enough to attempt identify are a couple of flies that I believe are in the family Lauxaniidae - see Minettia sp. photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com for an example. Flowers are indeed a a great place to find and photograph a variety of insects!

MrILoveTheAnts 06-28-2011 11:18 AM

I like how the first beetle picture has milkweed anthers stuck to it's legs.