Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #81
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Am I having a senior moment and forgetting what I posted previously? Entirely possible. I will go back and look, Havalotta.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #82
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Havalotta, I couldn't find your previous post (I'm sure it is there, but I don't have the patience to look.) However, with your hint of flower beetle, I searched in my Kaufman guide and identified it more specifically as the
Delta flower scarab beetle, Trigonopeltastes delta, which is apparently common in the southeast. It is named for the pattern on its thorax that resembles the Greek letter delta, possibly as a mimic of certain wasp species. It is a nectar and pollen eater as an adult, favoring goldenrod, feverfew, coneflower and rattlesnake master (per bugguide) to which I would add swamp milkweed and queen anne's lace.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #83
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

YES That's the one...
Was it yours I had previously identified? I recall its markings looking pretty neat. Like a little heart or luna moth.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #84
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Another quick addition to the microcosm. My first impression of this one was that it was dressed up like Stevie Nicks but then, upon closer inspection, I saw just how formidable it really looked.
Attachment 24729Attachment 24730Attachment 24731Attachment 24732Attachment 24733
The folks at Bugguide have IDed this as a Plume Moth (Pterophoridae). They could get me no further. Considering that one article stated that species determination could be quite difficult, often requiring microscopic examination of the genitalia, I won't hold that against them.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #85
Salamander

beetle

Quote:
Havalotta, I couldn't find your previous post (I'm sure it is there, but I don't have the patience to look.) However, with your hint of flower beetle, I searched in my Kaufman guide and identified it more specifically as the
Delta flower scarab beetle, Trigonopeltastes delta, which is apparently common in the southeast.
Havalotta, that is the beetle you identified for me when I submitted my "Mystery Beetle" photo in last month's photo contest. I know what it is, now!

Last edited by scarecrowsdrm; 08-11-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: wrong quote
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #86
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sorry if I confused you any Turtle..Turns out it was Scarecrows entry.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microcosm, milkweed