Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #41
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I have swamp, butterfly weed, narrow leaf, and purple. I just ordered seeds to try this coming year. They are Poke Milkweed, Tall Green Milkweed, Eastern Purple Milkweed, and Prairie Milkweed. Directions are supposedly coming with the seeds, though I'm sure I'll be asking for advice when it comes time. Some of them require stratification, and I'll plant them in November. The others don't need anything, and I'll plant those in the Spring.

My problem is finding full sun locations. I have so much that I've planted that I have more of "half-shade" than anything else.

But, yes, a milkweed garden makes the most sense to me. It will attract beneficials for the vegetable garden, and it will attract the interesting insect species I am interested in knowing more about. I haven't seen a Monarch yet this year, though...
I haven't had great results from seeds, but haven't tried the kinds you've mentioned. Where did you get your seeds?

I too am pretty much out of full sun locations. I find that many things do okay in part sun, they just don't bloom as well, but that doesn't matter as a larval food source. I have been thinking about trimming some branches back to increase my sun exposure, but my trees are a little weakened by all the cicadas this year and many look peaked; I'm reluctant to be pruning until winter.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #42
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I haven't had great results from seeds, but haven't tried the kinds you've mentioned. Where did you get your seeds?

I too am pretty much out of full sun locations. I find that many things do okay in part sun, they just don't bloom as well, but that doesn't matter as a larval food source. I have been thinking about trimming some branches back to increase my sun exposure, but my trees are a little weakened by all the cicadas this year and many look peaked; I'm reluctant to be pruning until winter.
Hmmm, I was hoping you'd ask. We can, if you purchase any, share notes on how to plant them. We can also share notes on how well they're doing.

Growing Milkweed

I've not dealt with this company before, so I cannot vouch for the quality of the product. I am, of course, hoping for the best!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #43
Great Horned Owl

By the way, I saw my first monarch today in the yard. He/she was nectaring at the A. incarnata. I watched for awhile, but no signs of egg laying were evident. It was in great condition with not a blemish on it.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #44
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
By the way, I saw my first monarch today in the yard. He/she was nectaring at the A. incarnata. I watched for awhile, but no signs of egg laying were evident. It was in great condition with not a blemish on it.
Great news, jack!

That gives me hope.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #45
A Bee's Best Friend

A wildlife garden without milkweed? Unthinkable,there must be a milkweed for every type condition. We grow common milkweed and whorled milkweed. I would like to get some seed for tall green milkweed.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #46
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
A wildlife garden without milkweed? Unthinkable,there must be a milkweed for every type condition. We grow common milkweed and whorled milkweed. I would like to get some seed for tall green milkweed.
Yes, I ordered some of that, but Dap would not approve. It's not endemic to Eastern Mass.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #47

dap would not approve for his own yard... dap makes no judgement on jack.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #48

dap has spoken.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #49
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
dap has spoken.
Actually, one that is native to all of Penn but not to Mass is the Green Comet Milkweed. Looks interesting. You might give it a try by starting seeds???

PLANTS Profile for Asclepias viridiflora (green comet milkweed) | USDA PLANTS

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #50
Pope

Dap, you must try it!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microcosm, milkweed