Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Become a Firefly Researcher

https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Default Facts on Fireflies

https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/jun...featured_paper

Oracle at Delphi
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

Fortunately, fireflies still are fairly abundant here - on some evenings, they put on quite a show!

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Default First Firefly reports are in

If you read the comments from the participants, you'll find they are from a good number of different states. There is some interesting material here, not least of all the replies from the participants.

Here in Northeastern Mass, at least in my neighborhood, this is a very poor year for fireflies. It's been a very wet year (Tuesday we had 3 1/2 inches of rain in 1 1/2 hours.) My basement got wet!!

How are the members here finding it for fireflies this year??

In the initial post of this thread, the link explains how to observe and how to understand what you are observing. The following link documents participants reports.

http://view.email.mos.org/view_email...71660675771d78

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I wanted to get involved, but have had a crazy couple of weeks.

I did enjoy seeing their sporadic flashing for about a week or two before the Fourth of July (I always associate them with appearing around that day.) Just a couple of nights ago, I sat out on the swing and just watched.

Not sure how they compare to past years...something I'll try to pay more attention to in coming years.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Fireflies have been flashing here in NC for months already, so I suspect it is too late for me to join this year, although I have flagged it for next year.

This year has been much better than last year for fireflies. Last year was much drier, and they need the humidity as well as the heat in order to flash (which is why, in general, there are not any in California and the western states). I haven't tried to figure out species from the flashes before, but may try now that I have the information. I wonder if my mosquito repellent (which is essential to wear in the evening) will chase them away as well? Oh well, I don't have to get that close!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Fireflies have been flashing here in NC for months already, so I suspect it is too late for me to join this year, although I have flagged it for next year.

This year has been much better than last year for fireflies. Last year was much drier, and they need the humidity as well as the heat in order to flash (which is why, in general, there are not any in California and the western states). I haven't tried to figure out species from the flashes before, but may try now that I have the information. I wonder if my mosquito repellent (which is essential to wear in the evening) will chase them away as well? Oh well, I don't have to get that close!
Ironically enough, though this has been a wet year, I see almost no fireflies! Of course, I have neighbors who mow twice a week whether it's needed or not. I too, may have some responsibility for their paucity here, as I have smothered so many areas with cardboard and mulch that I may have destroyed the larvae. I'm only speculating on this issue, though. Does anyone think that may have been a factor?? In past years I saw more fireflies, in spite of the fact that I have started a rather large meadow with all native plants.

Oracle at Delphi

Tags
firefly, researcher