Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #31
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
So the fishing spider has smaller eyes in the center?
Attachment 22815Attachment 22816Attachment 22817Attachment 22819
I'm going to throw the dice and give you a full house.
These are all different spiders.....What would they be?
The anterior median eyes of fishing spiders may be slightly larger than its other eyes, but the difference in size is much greater in wolf spiders.
All of the spiders imaged here are fishing spiders in the genus Dolomedes.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #32
The Bug Whisperer

[QUOTE=havalotta;88689]Attachment 22820
What about these?
Attachment 22821
Any wolfs in this batch?
Attachment 22822
My favorite!
I cannot be certain about the first one, as I cannot see enough if its cephalothorax, but the other ones definitely are more fishing spiders in the genus Dolomedes.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Suunto: I'm wondering about starting a thread specifically for identifying spiders.
Would you by chance be interested ---errrr Have the time to I.D. spiders so others will learn as you I.D. them for us?
If not.... I'll pass on creating it. I'm pretty good at spinning a yarn or two but I'm no good at I.D.ing the little spinners (Well some of them anyway) themselves.

Want to work side by side with what I've got? Hopefully others will add to it as well...What do you say?
It's worth a try, but I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of spiders that may stump me - field guides to spiders are not nearly as comprehensive as those for insects. Also, I thought that there already was a thread for arthropod identifications, but I just did a quick search and couldn't find it...

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #34
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Also, I thought that there already was a thread for arthropod identifications, but I just did a quick search and couldn't find it...
Just found it - it's “Bug Us (help identifying bugs)” in the “Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods” Forum. Perhaps you could start a spider thread there?

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #35
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks for the I.D.'s
ALL fishing spiders...Mmmmm I was hoping there'd be one wolf in the batch for comparison.
Quote:
I'm wondering about starting a thread specifically for identifying spiders.
Suunto...Would you by chance be interested in working side by side I.D.ing the photos I have to teach others about them? What do you say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
It's worth a try, but I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of spiders that may stump me - field guides to spiders are not nearly as comprehensive as those for insects. Perhaps you could start a spider thread in the “Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods” Forum.
Ok....I'll start one once I've finished the other threads and projects I'm currently working on.
It will more than likely be after NEXT weekend depending upon whether I go out of town or not.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #36
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Thanks for the I.D.'s
ALL fishing spiders...Mmmmm I was hoping there'd be one wolf in the batch for comparison.
There is a possibility that the first one might be a wolfie, but without seeing the front of its cephalothorax, I simply cannot be certain...

Henry Ward Beecher

Tags
arachnid, arachnid identification, arachnids, archnid, cephalothorax, eating, fishing spider, identify spiders, insect, jumping spider, pompiloidea, spider, spider id, spider identification, spider wasp, spiders