Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I like those too.

Soooo bright and cheery!

Especially in a grouping.

I've always wanted a bog garden....
Why didn't I create one around the new pond I just put in!
...I wished I would have remembered about myself wanting and creating one sooner....The area around my pond is already fully planted as of last fall!
They are a great color...especially after a long winter. I planted one of mine at the edge of my property where there is a drainage ditch. It is doing well. I'm already anticipating the new growth. It won't be *too much* longer.

Sorry you didn't think to include a bog in your newly established pond. Hopefully you'll figure out how to get your bog and bog plants too.

Quote:
That may be something to think about when you create YOUR pond... A marginal wetland surrounding part of it!
It's easy enough to do. Just dig out a shallow area, line it with a good size chunk of waterproof liner and back fill with some nice peaty soil.
I have thought about it *a little*; just the other day I came up with an idea to recreate a dripping, saturated wet area of mossy rocks and some soil. I want to plant Greek valerian (which seems to be native, despite being called "Greek") in this hypothetical area...it is something I saw back in Western PA at my favorite wildflower haunt.

Now you have me thinking about a more obvious bog garden--somewhere I have a sketch that I came up with about 20 years ago when planning for my future pond. That included a boggy area. Thanks for the reminder.

(I don't mind getting off topic--I do it all of the time...I'm just wondering if we should create another thread for this if we plan to discuss it more. I am supposed to create one about my planned streambed/pond--/bog...I just thought I should be making actually progress before creating the thread.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oooops
From spiders, to butterflies, to flowers, to bogs..My how we've wandered.
Archnid Eating an Insect-dscf7157.jpg
I'll just slink away and look for some more insects to eat.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Oooops
Attachment 22761
I don't mind...you really got me excited/inspired about it. I *might* even start a thread about it...sooner than planned...we'll see.

Great shot...cool colors...as long as their not crawling on me, I like spiders.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #24

Well..... Once summer comes you'll be out DOING it so you best post up to that point now while you can. You can always add to it once it HAPPENS.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Well..... Once summer comes you'll be out DOING it so you best post up to that point now while you can. You can always add to it once it HAPPENS.
Good point! Thanks.

I did start the thread. I'm trying to figure out which member it was who asked me to document it and post a thread. I wanna say it was either turttle or linrose, but I've yet to find that post!

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...sibly-bog.html
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #26
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Oooops
Attachment 22761
What a lovely fishing spider (family Pisauridae)! It is in the genus Dolomedes, likely Dolomedes tenebrosus - see Dolomedes tenebrosus
They are close relatives to wolf spiders (family Lycosidae), and like those, they are active hunters that do not spin a capture web. Large specimens can deliver a painful (but not dangerous) bite if handled carelessly, but they basically are very shy creatures that will scurry away if given a chance.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #27

Ahhh I thought it was a wolf...
Just wondering what the difference is...Their heftiness? Do you have a link to the wolf so I can compare them?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #28
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Ahhh I thought it was a wolf...
Just wondering what the difference is...Their heftiness? Do you have a link to the wolf so I can compare them?
The main differences are in the eye pattern (wolf spiders have greatly enlarged anterior median eyes; these eyes are only slightly enlarged, if at all, in fishing spiders) and in egg-case carrying by the females - female fishing spiders carry their egg cases in their jaws, while wolf spiders attach theirs to the end of their abdomen.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #29

Very different, once you explain things..Especially the egg carrying part. Thanks Suunto
Quote:
Wolf spiders have greatly enlarged anterior median eyes; these eyes are only slightly enlarged, if at all, in fishing spiders
I cropped and lightened another photo of the same one for a better view of its eyes.
Archnid Eating an Insect-dscf7155-copy.jpg
So the fishing spider has smaller eyes in the center?
Archnid Eating an Insect-dscf0044.jpgArchnid Eating an Insect-dscf0057.jpgArchnid Eating an Insect-dscf4476.jpgArchnid Eating an Insect-dscf0042.jpg
I'm going to throw the dice and give you a full house.
These are all different spiders.....What would they be?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #30

spider3

Archnid Eating an Insect-dscf5294.jpg
What about these?
Archnid Eating an Insect-dscf7532.jpg
Any wolfs in this batch?
Archnid Eating an Insect-dscf6304.jpg
My favorite!

Suunto: I'm wondering about starting a thread specifically for identifying spiders.
Would you by chance be interested ---errrr Have the time to I.D. spiders so others will learn as you I.D. them for us?
If not.... I'll pass on creating it. I'm pretty good at spinning a yarn or two but I'm no good at I.D.ing the little spinners (Well some of them anyway) themselves.

Want to work side by side with what I've got? Hopefully others will add to it as well...What do you say?

Tags
arachnid, arachnid identification, arachnids, archnid, cephalothorax, eating, fishing spider, identify spiders, insect, jumping spider, pompiloidea, spider, spider id, spider identification, spider wasp, spiders