Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Default The AntsCanada Ants Show Jan. 9, 2011 at 3PM EST

Quote:
Be sure to tune into AntsCanada Ants Store [MUSEUM SECTION] to catch our first episode of The AntsCanada Ants Show this Sunday, January 9th, 2011 at 3PM EST, where we will be interviewing our very own renowned myrmecologist/biologist Dr. James Trager aka DoctorAnt on his latest work on the ant genus Polyergus (slave-making ants)!!!

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone here would be interested in this but I thought I'd post it anyhow. Antscanada is the screen name to one Mikey Busto who is something of a celebrity. He placed 8th on the TV show Canadian Idol and of all things loves studying Myrmecology on the side. He's opened a store web page in the quote above and has his own You Tube Channel displaying all his setups. (Which I find to be grossly over priced!)

That said he's starting his own "podcast" or web show as he's calling it. I've no idea what to expect other than at some point he'll be showing a prerecorded interview with James Trager who is a somewhat unknown but very renowned myrmecologiest... who I'm also friends with on Facebook . This interview is the main reason I'll be watching and why I'm posting it here.

This is a direct link to the section of the web page where you can tune into the show. Hopefully it's good but of course I have no idea what to expect.
AntsCanada Ants Store
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

The AntsCanada Ants Show on USTREAM: Show of The AntsCanada Ants Store www.AntsCanada.com.

This is their direct feed on the ustream site. Note that Ads pop up at the bottom of the video. This is a bigger picture than what's on their home page.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

The Interview with James Trager is now youtube. Along with studying ants he works as a Biologist at the Shaw Nature Reserve, located in Missouri. A few years ago he wrote a short work that might interest members here titled "An Introduction to Ants (Formicidae) of the Tallgrass Prairie."

The ant mentioned in the interview, and slightly less so in the Tallgrass Prairie paper linked above, is the ant genus Polyergus. In the ecosystem Polyergus ants raid colonies of Formica for brood. Formica are common in prairies and slightly less so in woodland settings. The brood (cocoons and adult larva) is allowed to develop in the Polyergus colony and the newly born Formica workers imprint the Polyergus nest as their home. The Formica then go about their normal lives foraging to sustain the colony, despite the resident Polyergus workers continuing to raid more Formica nests. These raids typically happen in the summer and perhaps early fall.

Tags
2011, 3pm, ants, antscanada, est, jan, show