Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Bumblebees are primary pollinators of hot house tomatoes, and are being used comercially for this purpose. Tomato pollen needs to be vibrated to be released, which the bumble bee does by buzzing, but honey bees do not. Interesting trivia fact of the day.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You can also pet bumbles.... Try it sometime you're feeling brave..... They actually try to push you away with their feet!
I have a photo of a bumble I had just petted to show you its stance but for some reason I cannot enter the photo. I'll try again later.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #13

Turtle mentioned not being able to enter her photos earlier as well...
I recall reading something about working on the sight later on in the week...maybe that's the problem right about now.

I get this reading.....
DSCF7980.JPG:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1000 x 1000. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3648 x 2736.

No manually resizing and entering any more photos from me as I don't know how.
Guess we'll just have to wait it out until the resizerator gets fixed.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
Co-Administrator

Havalotta - If I remember correctly, you have the Google Picasa program. If you do, here's how to resize a photo:
Resize : Managing Your Pictures - Picasa Help

In step 3 it says:
Quote:
Image size options: You can choose between using the photo's original size or selecting a custom pixel size using the slider. The number of pixels you select with this slider determines the length or height of your photo (whichever is longer). The other dimension is determined automatically to maintain the aspect ratio of the photo.
Just set the slider to 999 or less and you should have no problem uploading the resized photos.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #15

I opened the "all programs setting" and there is not a picasa program listed ..I've never had it as far as I know of.....I recall Sage telling me about herself using it though. Is what you are speaking about a ONE time adjustment or do you need to do it for each photo?

Is there something being worked on, on the sight right now that won't allow photos inserted? I'll try uploading another random shot to see if it comes through as is yet. NOPE! Won't go through....

Old 12-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #16
Co-Administrator

You can download the Google Picasa program here:
Picasa 3: Free download from Google

It's a free program and many people use and like it. It's a relatively small program, so it won't use up much of your disk space.

You can resize one at a time, or a whole batch at one time:
Selecting multiple photos : Using the Photo Tray - Picasa Help

Here's the help section info on "exporting":
Exporting photos : Exporting From Picasa - Picasa Help

The software that we use for the forums was designed to handle photos that were much smaller in size than present day cameras produce. The huge file sizes produced by the new cameras simply overload the software's ability to resize photos. vBulletin (our forum software) was not designed for heavy photo processing tasks. The photos have gotten so large that even special programs to resize photos are being overwhelmed.

The other limitation that we have is making our photos viewable by all of our members. Many of our members are on dialup ISP service. Dialup service is very slow compared to broadband and even DSL service. For our dialup members, the large photos that the new cameras produce would take around 10 minutes just to go from the thumbnail size to full photo size. That's for each photo.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #17

If by chance W.G. discontinues readjusting the photo size....I think You're-they're going to loose me trying to learn all of that on my own....
It's all so foreign. There's not a warm body here to walk me through any of it....
I'm a hands on learner, not a paper-word-reading type of learner.

Quote:
The software that we use for the forums was designed to handle photos that were much smaller in size than present day cameras
And here I am thinking about getting a bigger better mega whatever type of a camera, more this, more that, which will probably need even more size readjusting than my existing camera does...

Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #18
Fox

idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I'm a hands on learner, not a paper-word-reading type of learner.
Most likely your camera already has an image size setting. On mine, its only one level down in the menu. The default, unfortunately, is the maximum size, but I have myself trained so most of the time I remember to set before I shoot.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #19

I rotated through all the settings in the camera and don't see any image sizing anywhere.
I did find something that says High-speed continuous shooting at 3 or 5 Mpixel or less.
Would that be the area your'e speaking of? If so.... when I take shots in that mode wouldn't they appear grainy all blown up on the television when viewed. I wouldn't like...That's where I watch slide shows with the family and need the MOST clarity.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
Fox

In my camera guide under Shortcut Menus: "Sets the image quality and resolution." Setting "SQ1" gives the correct size for WG uploads.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attract, attract bees, attract pollinators, attracting, attracting bees, bee, bee anatomy, bee colony, bee habitat, bees, beneficial insects, bumblebees, colonies, formica worker, insects, native bees, native insects, ocelli, plants for bees, pollinate, pollination, pollinator, sunflowers