Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #21
Fox

There's no information on how they would deploy the toxic sugar bait, but I can't help thinking that this idea is a candidate for "What were they thinking?!". Anything that feeds on nectar is going to be attracted to this toxic bait. Native bees would be one of many species that could be attracted to and killed by it.

These researchers have got to be smarter than that, but it would be very reassuring if they would at least mention the possible downsides of this kind of pesticide use.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
Heron

I have had some problems develop in my family that makes trust when it comes to health matter - -- well there is no trust.
It makes me rather vulnerable I suppose to conspiracy theories.

But here is one about genetically modified mosquitoes, and Bill Gates spending money on Japanese studies to make them deliver vaccines.

liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

NEWisc> "What were they thinking" seems to me you're being waaaaaay too polite. Skeeters are a big part of our food chain and.... those baits don't exactly sound target specific to me.
--
Liquid> I despise Bill Gates and his foundation that's "seeking" innovators in vaccine delivery, Gates Vaccine Innovation Award | Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and all of his Grand Challenges Explorations grants, http://www.gatesfoundation.org/press-releases/Pages/grand-challenges-explorations-round-four-winners-100509.aspx, "investigation of nanoparticles to release vaccines when they come in contact with human sweat." Nanoparticles.... no wonder why he's taken up such an interest in geoengineering the skies lately and here I thought it was just to save us all because he loved humanity so much. A little bit more in sync with the skeeter focus of this thread.... http://hotbedinfo.com/2011/11/bill-gates-wants-forced-vaccinations-via-genetically-modified-mosquitoes/. Concerns regarding "flying" vaccines have all but been relegated to archives, Gates Foundation: The Ethics of Funding Mosquito “Flying Syringes” :: Save My Life Dr. Rima. Didja catch this, http://greenbio.checkbiotech.org/news/banana_based_vaccine_hepatitis_b and this will blow your mind, Recent advances in Hepatitis B vaccination Madalinski K - Hep B Annual, "The idea to provide easy delivery of vaccine to adults but especially children directed researchers to the not-so-easy procedure of producing plant-based viral vaccines. Indeed, upon expression in yeasts, recombinant HBV surface proteins have been used from several years for parenteral 'syringe' immunization. [38] This has raised hopes that using similar technology to incorporate preS-S genes of HBV into edible plants will enable us to profit from the enormous potential of gut-associated lymphoid tissue...The following genetically modified plants were tried in these procedures: lettuce, carrot, potato, cherry tomato, lupin, maize and tobacco. [40],[41]....Researchers are also considering introducing the banana as a perfect delivery system. [42] It is interesting to note that many good experimental studies in this field were performed in such countries as Poland, USA, Egypt, India, China and USA. [43] ". Gee.... they're planning on profitting from all this technology and they listed the USA 2x.... I feel so "special" knowing some of us were used as experimental guinea pigs not once but twice.... how about you? Oh oh oh.... GMOed goats are the latest and greatest.... looks like we'll all be able to drink those flu vaccines we didn't want some day soon..... Genetically Engineered Goats to "Carry" New Malaria Vaccine or this... Pigs, people may soon eat their way to swine flu resistance, say ISU researchers - insciences or this, Soybeans could offer new method of giving vaccines - Iowa State Daily: News. Just a small sampling of involuntary vaccination delivery systems I found in all of about 10 minutes yahooing. BTW.... from 13 years ago..... GRAIN — EAT UP YOUR VACCINES.... a classic example of how yesterday's tinfoil made today's news. Rant over.... looks like they're H E double hockey sticks bent on polluting the whole world with their GMOed genes for some perceived greater good and once those are fully unleashed.... we won't be able to recall them. Eat.... drink... and get your vaccines delivered to ya via cheerios, milk shakes, banana splits, spaghetti, and why even from skeeter bites.... be HAPPY. Now... back to our regularly scheduled skeeter programming!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Heron

I don't despise him as much as I am scared of him.
Too many grand ideas, that are strange ideas.

And they will lead to hurting, maiming and killing people in a white collar kind of way of course.
If you do that in a white collar it is not so bad, so society seems to think.
No actually blood letting.
Not the ones in society -- though ---that have figured out the white collar crimes and know why all of their neighbors have thyroid trouble, or are diabetics, and why all the kids grow up to have drug problems (co morbid with mental health problems from teenagers).
Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

It's not just the $$$ his foundation spent on "flying" syringe studies in Japan leading me to despise him..... it's all that I've learned he stands for. He's no humanitarian.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
Fox

skunk I think I smell good while in the woods.

I've basically quit eating bananas, especially before an outdoor hike or picnic because I've noticed a relationship between increased mosquito bites (if I have eaten a banana within previous 24 hrs).

I just figured the 'banana scent' metabolizes as a way to change my natural scent, of which, the mosquito seems highly attracted to. In addition to abstaining bananas, I use crushed/fresh spicebush (Lindera Benzoin) or sweetroot (Apiaceae Osmorhiza Longistylis) leaves rubbed over the skin & hair to cover my scent (effective natural mosquito repellant).

Hummph I wonder if it is the banana the mosquitoes are attracted to, or some unlabeled ingested additive via the banana. I like the greenish bananas, and rarely eat a full yellow/ brownish skinned banana.

Oh yeah, I guess it is understood that mosquitoes are a primary in the diet of various Bats. Concern of Bat diet/health should be even more important at this time, the brink of Bat extinction is upon us. I guess we cannot prove the link of White Nose Syndrome and Genetically Modified Mosquitoes...yet.

ww

Last edited by wildwatcher; 02-09-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add a line about Bats!
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
Heron

You are right - Equil - he is no humanitarian - despise is a good word, I am scared of him too though.

Wild catcher - that is very interesting that bananas draw mosquitos.
Equil said they probably tried out those GM mosquitoes here first.

Society thinks we are mad in thinking this stuff--
but I think society is mad if they don't.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

The internet has been a really humbling experience….for me at least. I can go back 5 years… 10… sometimes 15… and every once in a while…. even longer and find some pretty heated discussions where tempers flared and folk ganged up on 1 side of an “issue”. They resorted to name calling. Name calling works really great backing down anyone challenging an accepted “belief” system... the name they used was…. “conspiracy theorist” and.... it caught on and is still used to bully people who "see" things differently from those in the "know". Funny how things change. More and more and more of what “conspiracy theorists”… those head cases I thought were totally off their rockers wrote so many moons ago…. is coming to fruition. That’s what I meant by those comments of mine where I said that link to the article written in the year 2000 was a classic example of how yesterday’s tinfoil becomes today’s news. What went down in Key West at the expense of a gay community was very real and so are flying vaccine trials… reports state they have taken place and they state they took place in the US….. where they played out is evidently a big “secret”. Sick and completely twisted uh huh but…. evidently very real. What’s really sad is there are many self-proclaimed humanitarians out there promoting this kinda “research” and there's so much $$$ to be made off of human misery I just know they're all standing in line salivating at the prospect of making unconscionable amounts of $$$ off humanity. Kinda makes me think twice about rolling my eyes at folk labeled “consipiracy theorists” these days. Oh… and about Gates….I think this about sums up his double talk since so many folk who are advocates of public health aren’t exactly elevating him to sainthood anymore…. “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”
--
ww> it’s more than that…. it’d be a domino effect…. almost all birds exclusivley feed their nestlings insects.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
Heron

How much to trust the government, our fore father's said you don't.

Which part of the federal government is the least trustworthy of all?

My answer is the NIH. I was not aware that the NIH receives the most money than any other government agencies. A huge amount more than any of the military.

NIH has more blood on it's hands than you would think a federal agency in charge of health would have????

In the 1950s experiments were done at Cincinnati's hospitals on down trodden mountain women that came there in hopes of treatment for breast cancer.

If you want to know how many rad of radiation do what -- you can find out in detail because that is what they decided to learn from these poor people.

My great aunt died in the 60s of breast cancer. The men sat around whittling while the young ones wept inside. On man said well we thought about taking her up to Cincinnati. but it appears they make them suffer far more than if you just keep 'em home.

Then there was the studies done on feeding kids with mental retardation cereal with radiation in it. They apologized for that -- 60 years later?? Who was left of that group to here a cheap lip service without paying out any money ---- sorry.

Then of course there was the black community in Alabama many suffering from syphilis. Antibiotics were finally discovered but this treatment was with held because they wanted to see what really happened when some one had syphilis that was not treated with mercury medicine. They found out that mercury makes syphilis go to the brain and made them insane, and if they don't use mercury the disease pans out different.

NIH is a beast that stalks the land.

I don't think that NIH, CDC or WHO needs Gate's money. I don't know why he has thrown in behind a cause that is already well funded and well orchestrated???
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #30
Official Plant Nerd

No but.... Gates needs all the incentives and tax breaks our politicians can give him to help him fulfill his personal global "green" goals and our tax $$$ to keep up his good "humanitarian" deeds here and abroad at the expense of the environment all 7 Billion of us are dependent on. Just remember.... this is the man who bought 500,000 shares of Monsanto stock then all the sudden started singing praise for GMOs. It's really a control thing with people like him.... I'm convinced. He who controls the food controls us. Me... I'm planting locally native plants.... cleaning up as many ickies and nasties on my own property as I can.... buying organic when ever available.... growing more of my own food... and beyond that.... educating myself on how to become more self reliant because it's really not enough to just reduce, reuse, and recycle.... I know I've got to start re-tooling.... re-purposing.... making do with what I've got.... and going without or inflation is going to destroy what's left of our lifestyle. Funny thing is.... I'm liking becoming more self reliant. I had no idea there were so many people trying like I am who truly care about this weary ole planet of ours and the people on it out there. That alone makes everything I'm doing worth it. Does that make sense to you? I mean.... look at this, How To Prepare For A Hurricane? Some Lessons That Preppers Can Learn From Hurricane Sandy, "Sometimes it is enough to know, that send ole wildwatcher a PM, if your needing a smoky place in AR to bunk, or park your RV...till weather or whatever lets up." That speaks VOLUMES to me.

Tags
change.org, controversial, dengue fever, designer mosquitoes, disease, engineering, entomologist, field, genetic modification, genetically, genetically modified, gmo, insects, malaria, mosquito, mosquitoes, oxitec, petition, research, research genetically engineered mosquitoes, researchers, study, transmission, transmit, trial