Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Question ~Hornet or Wasp Nest? Should it stay?

~Hornet or Wasp Nest?  Should it stay?-p1080718-1ed.jpg This is under the eaves of my son's Catsklls house. It's very neat and round. If left alone, would it be used again next year or are they abandoned each year?

~Hornet or Wasp Nest?  Should it stay?-p1080718ed.jpg This is the first time I've been able to see inside a nest and I was surprised to see these cells.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I'd say remove it sometime in January. Even if it's not used again next year it's an eye soar. And one of the easiest ways to freak people out.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

Would it still be in use now, in the mountains? If it's done for the season, we could try to get it off because winter tenants are arriving in November. Do those cells inside look fresh or active?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I honestly can't form an opinion on anything being alive inside it without having it right in front of me.

A few of the new queens (and males?) will hang out inside the nest over the winter. I don't think it's normal for them to reuse it though, I could be wrong. Unless you want to spray the entrance with Raid just after the sun goes down, the safest thing to do would be wait until the dead of winter to remove it. Have a trash bag ready to be safe of course.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #5

Wasp

Good point! We'll probably leave it in place til next spring to be sure!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

Ours look like this one which is ID'd as a Bald-faced Hornet next. I esp. noted the "rim" around the top.

~Hornet or Wasp Nest?  Should it stay?-bald_faced_hornet_nest_1.jpg
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Heron

You might want to leave a note for the tenants that the nest will be dormant during their stay, Insects pretty much go dormant below 50 degrees [F] but I can't say that hornet's overwinter in last years nest. 2 summer's ago I had ground dwelling Bumble Bees build a nest near a big rock and didn't see them this summer. Looks like you have some detective work to do after you get down to Ft. Meyers,,Have a good trip and post what you found out about bald faced hornets.
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I wouldn't knock down a nest just to knock it down unless it's one of those European paper wasp nests. I think bald-faced hornets nests are kinda pretty. They're like tree jewelry to me. They're pretty much torn apart by the end of winter anyway so you might as well enjoy them while you can see them and.... when activity is non-existent.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #9

We're up in the Catskills enjoying my son's free place to stay while it's empty (he and family live elsewhere) but he'll be back up soon to get this place ready for winter-skier tenants, and when he spots the nest, I know he'll want to smack it down. Now I can tell him to leave it be over the winter.

I love seeing these nests myself but some of those things give killer stings, like the European hornet, esp. when it stings the finger that is trying to dislodge it from your arm.

Tags
bald faced hornets, dormant, flying insects, hornet, hornet nest, hornets, hornets nest, insects, nest, nest photo, nests, photo, reuse, stay, wasp, wasp nest, wasp nest photo, wasps