Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Zombie Ants

Ants controlled by "intelligent" fungus enables fungus to spread where it otherwise couldn't. The fungus has been doing this for millions of years. It turns the ants into zombies that become robots controlled exclusively by the fungus.

'Zombie ants' controlled by parasitic fungus for 48m years | Science | The Guardian

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Lungwort

Very interesting read. The natural world never ceases to amaze me. I'd love to know exactly how the fungus does this.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

MrAnts would probably know.... he knows everything ant.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I believe the ant brain is still a mystery to science, as far as I know at least. But this article is just highlighting a study from last year about certain hosts only foraging in the canapé where humidity is to low for the spores to exist very long to limit infection. The BBC (video) I've posted is a few years old and has some fantastic camera work as usual, and who doesn't love David Attenborough.

Last edited by MrILoveTheAnts; 08-20-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Video was messed up
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
YouTube- Cordyceps: attack of the killer fungi - Planet Earth Attenborough BBC wildlife

I believe the ant brain is still a mystery to science, as far as I know at least. But this article is just highlighting a study from last year about certain hosts only foraging in the canapé where humidity is to low for the spores to exist very long to limit infection. The BBC (video) I've posted is a few years old and has some fantastic camera work as usual, and who doesn't love David Attenborough.
Great film clip. So, when Attenborough says that as soon as one species becomes too powerful that it is attacked by fungus, does he mean man should have his eye out for the fungus to end all funguses? Seems we fit the definition of a species having become too powerful.

Perhaps the fungus has already made its move and causes large populations of Homo sapiens to pollute its own habitat? If so there's already lots of evidence of the presence of such a mind possessing creature...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Rack em MrAnts!!! Great video!!! jack> too blasted funny!!! I know you were joking but.... Unusual Fungal and Pseudofungal Infections of Humans -- Pfaller and Diekema 43 (4): 1495 -- Journal of Clinical Microbiology.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

Here's another example of zombie ants; the fungus here is in the genus Ophiocordyceps

“Zombie” ants fall victim to mind-control fungus | The Upshot Yahoo! News

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Here's a bit more info than the article provided as well as Science Blogger and Myrmecologiest, Alex Wild's take on it. And the original study all this is based on.
Attached Thumbnails
Zombie Ants-2.jpg   Zombie Ants-3.jpg   Zombie Ants-5.jpg   Zombie Ants-4.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Are these world wide fungus or strictly tropical in their location?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #10

Strictly tropical as far as I know, and even then restricted to only one species of ant. Certainly not many more.

Tags
ant, ants, behavior, fungal, fungus, insects, ophiocordyceps, robot, robot ants, tropical fungus, zombie, zombie ants