Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

spider3 ~Spiders! Eeek!

I'm protecting these spiders on my balcony but should I?

~Spiders!  Eeek!-p1060131.jpg 8/1 This spider is very tiny and apparently just made that egg sac. I'm watching it as a photo project but have no idea what it is.

~Spiders!  Eeek!-p1060222.jpg 8/3 Today the egg sac seems to be forming a harder surface

I have another, larger spider but have to put it the next post, so stay tuned!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #2

Here's the second spider, much bigger than the previous one.

~Spiders!  Eeek!-p1060220-2-.jpg

~Spiders!  Eeek!-p1060225-2-.jpg

What do I have?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

You aren't afraid of those purty lil spidies are you? That third photo is way cool. The spider and the rope are color coordinated!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Here's the second spider, much bigger than the previous one.

Attachment 18702

Attachment 18703

What do I have?
This is an orb weaving spider (family Araneidae); most likely a Neoscona sp. - see Neoscona sp. photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com for an example.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
I'm protecting these spiders on my balcony but should I?

Attachment 18700 8/1 This spider is very tiny and apparently just made that egg sac. I'm watching it as a photo project but have no idea what it is.

Attachment 18701 8/3 Today the egg sac seems to be forming a harder surface

I have another, larger spider but have to put it the next post, so stay tuned!
I suspect that this could be a cobweb/comb-footed spider (family Theridiidae), but clearer views of the dorsum of the abdomen as well as its 'face' would be helpful.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #6

spider3

In response to Equilibrium - after posting, I saw suunto's responses to now I'll go read them!

Lib, Sometimes I am but getting less so. I've been tolerating a jumpy at my desk, laptop and drapes for a couple months now and it has gotten much bigger! What can it be eating?

I accidentally disturbed the one on the rope yesterday because he is a new one and I didn't realize he was there. He dove for the lines (to raise and lower the bamboo blinds on the balcony) so now the web will prevent us from using the blinds!

How many hundreds of spiders will come out of the egg sac of the first?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
How many hundreds of spiders will come out of the egg sac of the first?
It depends on the species; I've seen estimates of 50 to 400 per egg sac; you'll just have to stay up and count 'em... :-)

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

suunto.... did you forget a few zeros??? Isn't it 500 and 4000 or maybe it was 40000? Sage> I bet they're getting fat off dust mites or bed bugs.... who knows.... maybe they're grooming your face while you sleep plucking off your juicy eyebrow mites and popping them in their mouths. Just funnin with you. suunto probably knows what's making em fat in your house.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
WG Contest Coordinator

I think that your spiders are quite lovely! I cannot tell you how many times I have sat just mesmerized by the spiders out in the yarden. They are quite distracting at times and even though they can get in the way, they are fun to watch.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #10

suunto, I lost my earlier post to you when my Windows 7 collapsed. Lost everything. Firefox didn't even apologize for not being able to restore.

I said something about how I used to wonder what "cobs" were. Those cobs that made the webs. Then I decided my mother would tell me to "dust those cobwebs" so I wouldn't be afraid there would be spiders in all those webs!

Anyhow, I have pix still in the camera of today's spider update.

Lib, I brought Roger out to the balcony tonight to see where the spiders and webs were so when he watered the plants (I can't lift the watering thingy) he'd know where to be careful, what not to touch, then he came with the watering can and grabbed and pushed the plants the webs were attached to, and I screamed as the spider got crunched into the egg case and a little leaf. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm trying to come out of a depression after losing interest in everything, and these two spiders are just gaining my interest. Don't mess with my spiders!

Tags
babies, baby, behavior, comb-footed spider, eeek, egg sac, eggs, family theridiidae, garden spider, insect, insects, orb weaver, photos, sac, spider, spider behavior, spider photos, spider web, spiders, steatoda, wandering spider, weave, web, webs, xysticus elegans