Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Green Bottle Fly infestation!

Ugh.

Spent a nice weekend with the extended family--kids got to go fishing, launch rockets, fireworks, etc. and came home to find the house filled with Green Bottle Flies (aka Blowflies).

I'm guessing there's either a dead skink in the basement, or a kibble-icious fur ball one of the cats coughed up that is just writhing somewhere and even though I'm not a squeamish person it is giving me chills.

I've looked through the basement, where they seem the worst and can't find anything anywhere, though there are lots of places behind the walls where there could be a dead skink.

In the meantime I've hung up those pink-striped boxes and have been going around with the little dust-vacuum sucking up flies in the windows.

Any other suggestions? I'm not happy about all the flies, but I know they'll be gone eventually, but the idea of the . . . ugh--even typing it gives me the chills!--the idea of the "larvae"--there, I almost did it!--feasting on something somewhere in my house is really getting to me!

I really want to find whatever it is, but then again, I dread it, too!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Fox

Seems like if there are so many flies, you would smell something amiss. Is there possibly a drain where the trap has dried out? On the plus side, once the flies have finished their work, whatever it is will dry up and not be so "ugh".
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

You crack me up. From fireworks to writhing furballs barfed up by cats... sounds like my house.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Salamander

It was a very busy, but great weekend and I really wanted a couple quiet days to recover and not to go sniffing around the basement for a dead/decaying 'something', swatting flies, and listening to their trapped-in-sticky buzzing.

I did spot some of those black/yellow beetles outside in the compost (Carrion beetles? My brain is stuttering right now!) and I think I remember reading that they predate flies--or maybe maggots. Of course, that means I have to bring them inside, too. My spouse will go mad if I do that--wonder if he'd believe me if I said they were yellow-headed ladybugs!?

By this evening, most of them seemed to have been either stuck or struck.
Tomorrow I'll have the kids count all the stuck flies and estimate how many we took out with a swatter (and dishtowels, and hand-vac) to get a final tally.
Have to come up with a good prize for their closest guess. . .
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

A personalized fly swatter maybe as a prize?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Salamander

Final count on the sticky traps is 117.
Estimate of those who succumbed to swatter and/or vacuum is 40.
Never did find the source. . .

Tags
basement, bottle, bottle fly, bottly flies, fly, green, green bottle flies, home, house, infestation, insect, insect infestation, insects, pest, pest control, pest management strategy, pests