Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Poifect photos of the differences and look at their wings at rest too.... just like what bridget1964 described. My greenhouse is loaded with them come spring because I take pond plants in to overwinter. As soon as I start seeing them flying around.... I give them a few days inside and check the weather reports then I open up all the roof vents and doors to woosh them out into the world.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

And the difference between.....
~Dragonfly Orgies~  you want to look, i know you do!-dscf6762.jpg
Damselfly nymph cases verses....
~Dragonfly Orgies~  you want to look, i know you do!-dscf6180.jpg
Dragonfly nymph case.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

The "cases" of damselflies are almost always narrower and longer! More poifect photos of differences.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
bridget1964's got it, damselflies and dragonflies are both suborders of Odonata. Eyes touching or almost touching and its generally a dragonfly.... not touching and its generally a damselfly with few exceptions. Other differences between the two orders too such as location of the gills on nymphs and dragonfly eggs are round while damselfly eggs are cylindrical.
Man, you are like a walking, typing encyclopedia, Equilibrium! I thought I was the only dragonfly geek on here, or in this world, for that matter!

I have been raising dragons and damsels in my classroom for the past four years. Very labor intensive as you are constantly finding live food for them, but it is so wild when you have one emerge before your eyes!

Check out my school blog and you will see lots of photos. I did not have many emerge yet this year, only a few fragile forktail damselflies. Last year we even raised a green darner, one of my favorites!

What is an Entomologist? | Ms. Lenahan's Fourth Grade Class

Our First Dragonfly! | Ms. Lenahan's Fourth Grade Class

Blue dasher dragonfly emerging! | Ms. Lenahan's Fourth Grade Class

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Man, you are like a walking, typing encyclopedia, Equilibrium!
Now I've got this mental image in my head...
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Nice additions Bridget.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

"Man, you are like a walking, typing encyclopedia, Equilibrium! I thought I was the only dragonfly geek on here, or in this world, for that matter!" I slept in a holiday inn express that night I was posting. I can do brain surgery and disable bombs and sound like a walking odonata encyclopedia. Ha! Fooled you. I'm way better with plants than I am with dragonflies and that's not saying much. When I started overwintering plants from my ponds in the greenhouse.... I started getting dragonflies and damselflies flying around in groves inside the greenhouse come springtime. I bought a few books and started reading about them to go beyond the basics. The greenhouse temps are regulated to a zone 7 and it's never allowed to drop below freezing even though I'm in a zone 5. Open the doors to whoosh them out too early when there's obviously not much for them to eat and I figured I'd be wooshing them out to their death so I started reading about them. I had to make a decision about where to overwinter my pond plants that would be the best for dragonflies and damselflies. I ended up deciding to keep overwintering them in the greenhouse but had to start getting creative with fruit flies and skeeters and flies so they could hang out in their controlled environment until I started seeing insects outside. A story for another day.... If you want the names of the two books I read... I can go get the titles and the authors for you.

Tags
damselflies, damselfly, damselfly nymph, damselfly photos, differences, dragonflies, dragonfly, dragonfly nymph, dragonfly photos, eyes, insect photos, insects, mating, native insects, nymph, nymphs, orgies, pictures of damselflies, pictures of dragonflies, pond, pond insects, ponds, similarities, wings