Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
They live in the temporary pools created by the thawing snow and spring rain as long as the water remains. When it starts to shrivel and dry they lay their eggs within the litter. Once the water is gone, so are they. The eggs remain in a dormant state until the spring hydration cycle returns starting their life cycle over once again....
Maybe those are Fairy Shrimp then, as that's the same cycle that they follow. Do you know the scientific name for them? That will clear up whether they're what I call Fairy Shrimp or not. That's the bad thing about common names, too many different names for the same organisms.

John
Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sorry, I do not know their scientific name.
I guess my calling them freshwater brine shrimp was a pretty close call on their I.D. then. Yes, I'd say their proper I.D. would be a FAIRY shrimp.

Brine shrimp exist in salt water, For instance..... Those sea monkey kits I had mentioned and Fairy shrimp live in fresh water.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Heron

I have occasionally seen those Fairy Shrimp too, but they seem to be becoming rare here, haven't seen any in several years. The ones around here seem to require very cold water and disappear as the water warms with the advancing season.

I used to raise brine shrimp to feed to things in my marine aquarium about 35 years ago. Sea Monkeys are just brine shrimp, as mentioned here.

John

Tags
brine shrimp, fairy shrimp, freshwater brine shrimp, mites, planaria, red, red mite photo, red mites, sea monkeys, shrimp