Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Grub

bumblebee Bumblebee Orientation Pattern

I am in the process of building a bumblebee nest box to place before spring. Many of the plans and things online I have read from or looked at talk about an "orientation pattern" for the entrance. The trouble I am having is that I can't find one! Anyone have any suggestions? Colors, pattern, size, etc... would be helpful and greatly appreciated!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Fox

I haven't been able to find much on bumblebee "orientation patterns" either. I've checked some books I have, and online, with little results. Most of what I found was an orientation pattern with respect to her flight when she leaves the nest.

There is some information on orientation patterns on nest blocks used by solitary bees. But this is primarily used as an aid in distinguish individual nest holes when a number of solitary females are nesting in close proximity. But the bumblebees are only using one entrance.

I did find this little mention on a UK website:
Quote:
Paint around the entrance hole to provide colour contrast; an "orientation-pattern" seems to be even more attractive.
Building Bumble Bee Nests - Articles - CBKA

This UK site also had some interesting thoughts:
Bumblebee nest boxes and nest sites

This pdf from the Xerces Society also has a short reference to marking the entrance:
Quote:
Make an entrance tunnel from 3/4" plastic pipe, marked on the outside with a contrasting color, ...
http://www.xerces.org/wp-content/upl...es_society.pdf
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Grub

Thanks for the diggin NEWisc. I guess I will have to give it the old "trial and error" method to see if there is one that works better than others. They have a tendency to find nest places without fancy paint anyway, so we will have to see. I will post pics once I get the houses done.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Grub

dragonfly01 Bumblebees

All I've ever seen bumblebees nest in is the earth, so I'd make it look like whatever plants you fancy growing around the opening that are native to your area. My guess is, the bees see the opening as different from whatever surrounds it & they mainly orient to the plants in the immediate area of their nests. No 2 nests are likely to have the same plants in the same places around the entrance hole..
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Grub

bumblebee Bumblebee Nest Box with pattern

I thought I would post my pictures of the completed nest box. My wife thought it looked too plain, so I added pictures of natives that bumblebees like just as a decorative component.

First picture- front view
Second picture- rear view
Third picture- orientation pattern- I followed the wood grain...
Fourth picture- entrance vestibule/latrine
Fifth picture- nest vestibule with nesting material
Attached Thumbnails
Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10522.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10530.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10523.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10533.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10532.jpg  

Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Grub

bumblebee More Pictures of nest box

1- top down view
2- plexiglass top for monitoring
3- screened ventilation holes (inside)
4- screened ventilation holes (outside)
Attached Thumbnails
Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10531.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10536.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10534.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-snc10535.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Salamander

I see what you have done however I don't understand why you would decorate them to place in the ground.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
Grub

It actually is an above ground nest box. It will sit in one of my flower beds. Hopefully this will entice them to build in the box as opposed to under our patio steps. Even though they are ground nesters, they are opportunists and will use above ground spots as well if nesting material is available.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I like them. You done good!!! Way cool and quick and easy!!! What did you use to attach the screen to the inside of the pvc?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Grub

I actually used the same silicone that I attached the bases to the wood with. It is a fun project and I like the fact that they are easier to clean than the wooden ones.

Tags
bee, bee house, bee house box, bees, bombus, bumblebee, bumblebee nest box, bumblebees, native bees, nest box, orientation, pattern