Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Carbon

I have seen all your struggles & these are looking very nice however i want to know if you have succeeded to get bees attracted to this artistic nest box..?
If I need to make one to hang with wall at my roof top what ammendments i need to make in this DIY nest box...?
Awaiting help.
gejaange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I see you’re from Pakistan. How cool is that that you came here!!! Welcome to you and someday I'd love to visit your country!!! You Pakistanians have some really awesome bee keeping programs going on over there that I found, Plan Bee - Pakistan women beekeepers Video. Looks exciting. I watched that video and was totally impressed with the start up including one bee hive. It would be nice if they’d offer a program like that in the US. I did some quick checking and found you have native bees similar to the native bees we have, http://www.fao.org/ag/AGP/AGPS/C-CAB/Castudies/pdf/6-007.pdf, you have “wild bees including bumblebees, leaf-cutting bees, alkali bees and carpenter bees”. The bee houses he made are for a specific kinds of North American native bees. Do you know what types of bees you have where you live in Pakistan or could you take photos of your bees so maybe gnomenative could get an idea if his kind of bee house would be used by the bees you have that are native to Pakistan?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Grub

Generally speaking, Bombus spp. could all potentially use this type of house. Entrance hole diameter might need to be altered depending on the species, but I wouldn't go larger that 3/4 inches on any of them. I sent a private message explaining the modifications I would make if hanging it. Hope that helps!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

This bumble emerged and heated up a little before taking off for some Virginia bluebells I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-img_1969.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-img_1970.jpg   Bumblebee Orientation Pattern-img_1972.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
Grub

Very cool pics Equilibrium! Thanks for sharing!

Tags
bee, bee house, bee house box, bees, bombus, bumblebee, bumblebee nest box, bumblebees, native bees, nest box, orientation, pattern