Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Grub

dragonfly01 Gemimila Tanka

Geh-MEEM-ee-lah TAHNH-kah - The Lakota term for 'dragonflies'.

They are holy people; & the turquoise ones are specially protective from danger. In 1994 when I was on Pine Ridge Rez raising cane w the crooks in Tribal Council, Tribal police, & BIA there, some Tribal police came after me with guns. They found me near a stream on the land where I lived. Suddenly, I was surrounded by a cloud of turquoise gemimila tanka so thick I could barely see thru it - & they could barely see me. They backed away, apologizing constantly, & after that, I was left alone by the crooks there on Pine Ridge. Needless to say, I put out offerings for these holy people all during the season they are active here, even yet.

Even if they weren't so gorgeous, the gemimila tanka are just mesmerizing to watch. Mitakuye oiasin.
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'll start with something I dug up. I don't have many good photos so you guys have to add from your stashes.
That's a beauty! You caught it in great position, and very nice out of focus background, really isolates the subject nicely.

Kildale, nice shots too. I especially like the blue Damsel Fly, really pretty animal.

John
Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Heron

I don't have many shots of Odonata, but here are a few.
First one is an Ebony Jewel Wing damsel.
Odonata- photos of dragonflies and damselflies-calopteryx-maculata-male-dsc_0315.jpg
Then a couple Twelve-spotted Skimmers, male is the one with whitish spots on the wings, female doesn't have them.
Odonata- photos of dragonflies and damselflies-libellula-pulchella-female-dsc_1326.jpgOdonata- photos of dragonflies and damselflies-libellula-pulchella-male-cropped-dsc_2618.jpg
Finally, Ruby Meadow Hawks (I think), male is red, female is yellowish brown.
Odonata- photos of dragonflies and damselflies-sympetrum-rubicundulum-dsc_0669.jpgOdonata- photos of dragonflies and damselflies-sympetrum-rubicundulum-dsc_1043.jpg

I need to shoot these beautiful insects more. They're often challenging for me, probably the reason I don't have many shots of them. They seem to know when I'm going to take the picture, as they usually fly a second before I trip the shutter. Any tips for Odonata photography would be great.

John
Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

"and very nice out of focus background, really isolates the subject nicely." It was totally an accident. I have no idea what I did to do the background like that. For tips I'd buy some bamboo poles or vinyl covered garden stakes. Jab them in the ground in or near water in groupings at varying heights. I can always get them to pose for me when I give them a resting spot. I can't always click the camera fast enough or take photos in focus but the stakes are magnets so you'll do excellent with the way you take photos.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
The Bug Whisperer

A specimen that I followed around in our garden, trying to get a clear shot...
It appears to be an immature male common whitetail, Libellula lydia (Odonata: Libellulidae). I can't recall for certain, but I may also have posted this in 'Bug Photos.'
Attached Thumbnails
Odonata- photos of dragonflies and damselflies-dragonfly1-0704.jpg  

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Why do you call it immature?
Once out of the aquatic nymph stage aren't they already mature?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
Pope

Quote:
I don't have many shots of Odonata, but here are a few.
What you may lack in quantity, jpdenk, you more than make up for in quality. Wonderful photos, as usual! Havalotta, what a great painting. I am impressed!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Why do you call it immature?
Once out of the aquatic nymph stage aren't they already mature?
I probably should have used the terms "young male" or "recently eclosed" instead; it obviously was an adult, but it had not developed the coloration typical of mature males wherin the abdomen develops a pale pruinosity that gives it a whitish appearance. See Libellula lydia (Common Whitetail), male for an example.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks Hedgerowe!
So the coloration develops more as (how should I say it,) it plumps it's wings or as the days pass.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

Default word of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
I probably should have used the terms "young male" or "recently eclosed" instead; it obviously was an adult, but it had not developed the coloration typical of mature males wherin the abdomen develops a pale pruinosity that gives it a whitish appearance. See Libellula lydia (Common Whitetail), male for an example.
Suunto, what a great word! I love Odonates, but I had to look up "pruinosity." Found a neat website called "Odes of Beginners" that gives the definition

Quote:
pruinosity - a bluish or whitish powder which forms on the surface of mature dragonflies
The site has a wealth of information on identification, habitats, biology and conservation - more than just for beginners, I think!
Wild Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damselflies, dragonflies, dragonfly, dragonfly photos, insect, insect photos, insects, libellula, libellula lydia, libellulidae, naiads, nymphs, odonata, photos, swamp