Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
WG Staff

Wasp In Praise of Insects

In Praise of Insects
Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Modern Victory Movement: In Praise of Insects
excerpt from above:
Quote:
You had a wonderful day planned, a picnic with you family at the park. Unfortunately, the park was crawling with insects and other creepy crawlies. The mosquitoes were biting. The ants got all over the potato salad. Wasps kept flying around your sodas, attracted by the sweet moisture. Johnny got stung by a bee. Little Susie got scared by a spider that crawled across her paper plate and cried all the way home. What's worse, listening to the radio on the way home you heard a report about West Nile Virus being carried by mosquitoes. After such a miserable afternoon, you couldn't help thinking how wonderful it would be if we could just get rid of all those awful bugs. After all, they are not good for anything expect making people miserable...
Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Co-Administrator

Nice find Staff! We do need insects.

But I couldn't help but wonder, if insects were writing an article about us (Homo sapiens) would they find any pluses for them to our existence?

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Heron

Cirsium, interesting idea.

Quote:
Maggots are sometimes used to help in the cleaning process for open wounds by eating dead tissue. Approximately 5,000 lab-reared, bacteria-free maggots are delivered to hospitals across the United States each week!
No thank you!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Administrator

milkweed, where did your quote come from?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Heron

From the In Praise of Insect link, under Useful Products.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Administrator

Thank you milkweed.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Pope

Quote:
...would they find any pluses for them to our existence?
Well, the mosquitoes seem to like me just fine! I thought that this was a good article, Staff. I liked that way it summarized the roles that insects play. Thanks.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Co-Administrator

Well, I'm pleased to know that we have at least two useful purposes to the insects.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Pope

And those moths in my compost bin wouldn't have such a cozy warm little spot without me, either. So there are two localized insect populations that think quite highly of me! Another, the chiggers, love my neighbor (even though I don't).
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Grub

nice article. Good to see a positive spin on bugs in general. Lorax's sig is so true - we are what we are taught. I grew up with a mother who was insanely phobic of all bugs. A paper wasp would make her frantic and she lost all coping skills on the spot. It's taken me years to get past that. I grew up to become frantic over the sight of a paper wasp. I never get stung, then finally a few years ago I got stung by one and wondered what the big whoop was...started trying to be better about insects. I resent other people's personality disorders becoming mine, needed to fix that. Mom is not a bad person, just a product of her upbringing as well.

So started watching insects and have come to love them. Still grit my teeth over some - my new best friend this year was a great gold digger wasp that followed me everywhere, right in my face and I could only handle it for a limited amount of time...but I improve. I have been stung by a European hornet and that was very bad, I passed out (never did that before), I am terrified of them even though I know they sting rarely. I also do not like red velvet ants, but they keep surprising me and they are fast as the dickens.

Still. Teach your children well, parents. Bugs are good.

Tags
insects, praise