Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Heron

Default Mosquito spraying season again

Ah the joys of summer. Gardening, mowing, children outside playing and the city track showing up to spray the neighborhood.
It always concern me to see them spraying. I make my son come inside but I see lots of children staying out when the city sprays.

I wonder, is this safe? Shouldn't they alert us first? Do we have any option?

How does it effect butterflies, bees and lightingbugs?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
WG Staff

Default Study: Children Susceptible to Pesticides' Health Effects Until Age 7

Study: Children Susceptible to Pesticides' Health Effects Until Age 7
4 ways to protect your child from pesticide exposure.
6.25.2009 11:35 AM
By Dan Shapley

Pesticides Effects on Childrens Health - Childhood Health and Pesticides - thedailygreen.com
excerpt from above:
Quote:
It's well known that children are more susceptible to the harmful effects of chemical exposure than adults. For one, their bodies are still developing rapidly, so chemicals can interfere with the normal growth of their brains and other organs, or disrupt their hormones at key developmental periods. For another, doses are likely to be disproportionately large, because their bodies are so much smaller than adults' and because their breathing rates are so much more rapid. Finally, their habits -- crawling on the floor, testing the world with their mouths and frequently putting their hands into their mouths dirty -- mean they are exposed to more toxic chemicals on the ground.

A new study suggests yet more reason kids are more susceptible to the harmful effects of harsh chemicals: Their bodies have yet to produce significant quantities of a detoxifying enzyme that helps adults rid their bodies of organophosphate chemicals, a class of chemicals that includes many pesticides.
Beyond Pesticides
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/?p=1967
Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

To the best of my knowledge, organophosphates no longer are used in any municipal mosquito abatement programs; the active ingredients in adulticides now usually are one or more of the synthetic pyrethroids. Likewise, most larviciding now is done with bacterial formulations. It is perfectly natural and understandable to want to minimize exposure to anything of a potentially toxic nature, but the risk from exposure to mosquito control operations as currently conducted is far lower than the risk from diseases that mosquitoes can transmit. IMHO, there is far greater risk (to children, especially) from second-hand tobacco smoke than from any mosquito abatement program.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Heron

If it were me, I probably would call the mosquito spraying company and ask them what is the particular chemical that they are spraying...

And you can ask to be put on their call list, they will call you before they spray in your area. These companies are required by law to call people who request it, because many people with allergies or compromised immune systems cannot tolerate exposure to any chemicals.

When I was in college, I had a summer job at a mosquito control company (not too far from where EQ lives). I primarily did wetland mapping and sampling for larvae. Most of their work was focused on larvae control. But they did do some limited spraying, if the adult traps indicated a population explosion. I wasn't thrilled working for a company that sprayed chemicals, but they were doing it responsibly. They had an entymologist on staff, I learned a lot.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Mentor

I don't even think they spray for mosquitos around here, at least I've never seen any such thing. I've heard of people who want to clear vegetation for miles because mosquitos might be hiding in it and mow down all the roadsides and hedgerows. Personally, I don't think mosquitos are a big deal and walk around with no deet and short sleeves. I guess when I am 95 if the West Nile does in me someone can pull up this post and have the last laugh but until then I am not worried about mosquitos and it sounds like the mosquito spraying isn't a big deal either. I'd probably just stay inside for a few minutes until the spraying is complete and then go out with no deet and not worrying about the skeeters either
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Heron

Some states don't allow it.

Illinois does. Wisconsin doesn't.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Fox

In my neighborhood they spray Aqua-Reslin, a mixture of synthetic permethrin and piperonyl butoxide (a synergist, added to make the permethrin more effective).

It kills any insect in the air (mosquitoes and fireflies); the person I talked to said it is only active for 15 minutes after spraying, but I am dubious about that claim. The permethrin doesn't evaporate, it settles. Since permethrin's half-life is close to a month, wouldn't the molecules coat the roads, sidewalks, driveways, and nearby foliage, and then be tracked around even further by foot and road traffic? Or be washed into streams by rainfall? Or be picked up by kids playing on the grass?

Researchers at the EPA and HUD have found permethrin on 89% of the floors they tested.
Many Floors In U.S. Homes Have 'Measurable' Levels Of Pesticides

We're on our county's "no spray" list... we also don't wear "outside" shoes inside (keeps all kinds of mess limited to the front door).
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Heron

Thanks everyone for your input. It helped me do some more research.
Quote:
The state of Indiana has no statewide law requiring prior notification of pesticide applications.
Indiana apparently doesn't have a "no spray list", only a contact info if you want to be sprayed.

I grow up in the country where they don't spray. We know how to live with mosquitoes and ticks..... and lightening bugs and butterflies, moths.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Mentor

Hmmmm maybe the OP can get on some kind of no spray list and convince some other neighbors as well. I'm not sure mosquitos are really a big problem plus where there are healthy mosquito populations there are usually bats which I enjoy seeing.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
A Bee's Best Friend

I have not seen the trucks out spraying this year but probably soon. We had a no spray for many years but recent bouts of West Nile has kicked up activity.
Fireflies are out mating right at dusk just as the trucks come through spraying.
Many Solitary native bees hang out on stems of forbs and grasses for the night, they do not have a hive to seek shelter.
I always dread the spraying.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mosquito, season, spraying