Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/)
-   -   A link to a dung beetle movie... (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/1699-link-dung-beetle-movie.html)

Gloria 04-30-2009 11:30 AM

A link to a dung beetle video...funny.

Check this out...

I Brake for Dung Beetles! Beetles In The Bush

Watching the dung beetles roll around is very funny.

The movie is at The WILD Foundation - Working for Wilderness, Wildlife, and People

Quote:

Here at The WILD Foundation, we realize that it is not just those large, charismatic animals that inspire conservation - it is often the small, typically unnoticed and vastly under-appreciated ones that inspire us the most….and that are an indispensible part of the ecosystem!
but I found it at

Beetles In The Bush so that is where I linked.

North American dung beetles...

Biology, Natural History, and Ecology of Scarabaeinae - Dung Beetles

Quote:

The sacred scarab of the ancient Egyptians, Scarabaeus sacer, which inhabits North Africa, southern Europe and Asia, is often the only species of dung beetle that many people know about. We too often overlook the sizeable dung beetle faunas that inhabits our own continents. Indeed, a little observation in the natural habitats of almost any region of the world will reveal several intriguing species of diverse appearances and behaviors .
The Scarabaeinae, one of the two subfamilies of dung-rolling beetles (the other being the Aphodiinae), comprises about 4500 known species of worldwide distribution, occurring wherever excrement or nutrient-rich substrates are available. About 75 species of Scarabaeinae occur in North America (Borror et al., 422; Ratcliffe 95). Scarabaeine diversity is concentrated in the tropics: for example, while the most scarab-rich site in New York State might have close to 10 species, single sites in the tropics can have nearly 100 species. Most species feed on mammal dung, while smaller proportions feed on carrion or vegetable matter, or are even carnivorous. Dung beetles, together with their saprophagous (decay-feeding) relatives, are ecologically important degraders and re-distributors of nutrients
Busy Bee Girl has a bee romance and bee condo residents.

Anna’s Bee World

And bee speaker had an earth day party in Vancover.

http://beespeakersaijiki.blogspot.com/2009/04/moparrc-earth-day-tea-party.html

Beespeaker Saijiki

Gloria 04-30-2009 05:23 PM

More info about dung beetles...

http://www.princeton.edu/~tlarsen/Larsen%20Science.pdf

Quote:

The study examined the fate of dung beetles, which collect dung, bury it,snack on it, and lay their eggs in it.
Burying the seed-laden dung also enriches the soil and helps plants regenerate.
Trond Larsen, a graduate student at Princeton University, found
that the beetle species best at burying dung were the first to disappear from forest fragments.
Alarmingly, related species did not become more abundant.
Much dung then went unburied.
Larsen says: “Even the loss of just one or two species may have a much greater impact than we previously thought.”
Like top carnivores, the large dung beetles appear to be the most sensitive to extinction
and extremely important for ecosystem integrity,he adds.
Moreover, it’s surprisingly hard for others to fill their shoes,
Ostfeld says: “I wouldn’t have expected to see this effect with a dung beetle.”

Equilibrium 04-30-2009 09:09 PM

The bumper sticker was a stitch. Great thread. The Princeton article titled, 'Loss of Dung Beetles Puts Ecosystems in Deep Doo-Doo' was exceptional.

Gloria 05-01-2009 10:18 AM

Who would have thought dung beetles could be so entertaining?
My grandchild laughed out loud watching the video, said he would have gone looking for rabbit poo...LOL

I want that bumper sticker "I brake for dung beetles!"

Equilibrium 05-01-2009 09:35 PM

I watched a National Geographic program on dung beetles years ago and they were a blast. We owe it to ourselves to buy those bumper stickers... but then we'd probably get rearended by people trying to read what was on them.

Green Man 05-25-2009 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He he he :D

biigblueyes 05-25-2009 09:23 PM

hubby-over-shoulder is laughing, saying "sick - sick sense of humor"

Dirty Knees 05-26-2009 01:42 PM

All of you are very strange, very nice, but very strange. I like you all. I wish I could visit more.

biigblueyes 05-27-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Knees (Post 22044)
All of you are very strange, very nice, but very strange.

We try our best. Who wants to be known as the boring one?!?!?!

Equilibrium 05-29-2009 01:19 AM

Straaaaaaaange??? You're calling us strange when you're one of us???

biigblueyes 05-29-2009 07:58 AM

I bet dirtyknees' relatives are all boooorrrrrrrring and we're more fun to hang around with.

Dirty Knees 06-03-2009 06:30 PM

Like I said. You are all strange but very nice which is why I try to come back. I know Lib and she's wonderfully more strange in person once you meet her then what I read here. She makes me laugh the way things blurt out of her mouth. I have saved money from being at this board. Every dollar saved helps.

Equilibrium 06-05-2009 09:11 AM

Nothing ever blurts out of my mouth... no never!

doccat5 06-05-2009 09:12 PM

Such a wonderfully sic and twisted bunch in here. Gotta love it!