Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I agree totally with Stoloniferous that a bug photo contest lasting til next year is way too long. Also that tweaking contrast is a pretty routine thing. Of course adding/subtracting things should not be allowed but basic photo-editing is just that, basic. No bug would be harmed in the process. Most contests allow photo-editing providing original can be provided if requested.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

I don't do anything to my photos but crop them so I'm ok with the rules. I'm too lazy to learn how to do anything more than that. Lots of places have annual contests that close out the end of the calendar year. I'm ok with that. Not much to photograph from December to May for me anyway unless it's a wolf spider in my house. I think the contest is a really good idea... I'd like to have one of the field guides.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
The Bug Whisperer

I’ve been mulling this over during the past day or so; I believe that I erred in not putting out a draft proposal for the contest to the general membership before leaping ahead with my announcement. Just a bit of explanation; (1) the reason for having the contest run so long was that I thought that it would give everyone an opportunity to take advantage of what would be available during the changing seasons (but in retrospect, this might give an unfair advantage to those in the deep South), and (2) I was leery of having ‘manufactured’ images submitted - a few years ago, another organization that I belong had a photo contest in which the winning entry obviously was computer ‘doctored’ to create an image that otherwise was physically impossible. This resulted in such a dust-up that the organizers created a separate category for such images in subsequent contests.
All that aside, I propose that the contest guidelines be amended as follows:
(1) The deadline for entries shall be 30 October 2009.
(2) Alteration/enhancement of original digital images shall be limited to cropping and contrast adjustment (equivalent to ‘dodging and burning’; techniques I must admit some familiarity with...).

Before making these changes official, please let me know if this helps - the last thing I want to do is to cause any ill-feeling/controversies.

Thanks,
Suunto

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #24
Too Wild To Garden

Thanks Suunto! That sounds great!

LOL about the doctored photos - I feel your pain! I've had to burst too many peoples' bubbles about doctored photos. "No, that isn't a real series of murals on mac trucks. You can clearly see that it is the same truck photograph repeated five times with different images digitally glued on its side."

Sorry for bringing this up here instead of contacting you privately. I would like to say that I thought an open discussion would be more fruitful, but the reality is that I skimmed over the first post too quickly.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #25
Unicellular Fungi

Default Dragonfly Poser

Hi All,
I took these a couple of days ago in my backyard. Though I posted them on the dragonfly thread, thought I'd enter them in the insect photo contest. So here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Insect/Arthropod Photo Contest-g090601_7231-1.jpg   Insect/Arthropod Photo Contest-g090601_7211-1a.jpg   Insect/Arthropod Photo Contest-g090601_7223-2a.jpg   Insect/Arthropod Photo Contest-g090601_7214-1a.jpg   Insect/Arthropod Photo Contest-g090601_7203-1a.jpg  

Barbara E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

There is a photo contest of the month also you can play around with!
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #27

I'm wondering something. Are we suppose to post our photos here for the insect contest? I'm assuming it was moved by Fearless in post #11 to the thread he mentioned. I've been using that one. Barbara E should be informed as there are two listed in the threads.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #28
Administrator

Here is the other thread

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...st-photos.html

suunto will need to let us know if he wants her post moved. Her intent was obvious. Thanks for the heads up havalotta.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #29

Your welcome. I'd hate to see her in the wrong area.
How come it was moved?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #30
The Bug Whisperer

I am monitoring both threads, but it would make things easier (for me, anyway) if only one were used. Currently, most entries are posted on the "Bug Contest Photos" thread.
Thanks,
suunto

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contest, insect or arthropod, photo