Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Administrator

You can start by posting a few photos in this thread.
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...st-photos.html

Have fun.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
I saw my first mosquito today on my arm.
Your FIRST mosquito of the year????? :eek: They never stopped over here. You get the winter. I get the mosquitoes.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
The Bug Whisperer

Some mosquito species can be quite attractive when viewed under magnification - have a look at a Toxorhynchites species at http://tinyurl.com/cjo75k These mosquitoes not only do not sip blood (they are nectar feeders), their larvae feed on other mosquitoes :eek:! See http://tinyurl.com/c25wgk for a video (1.3 MB) of one in action.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

They are pretty in their own way. The Toxorhynchites under magnification was cool. I presume it was eating another species of mosquito?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I presume it was eating another species of mosquito?
Yes, it was. Toxorhynchites larvae also are cannibalistic :eek:, which makes mass-rearing them as a biological control method problematic at best. Just as an aside, whereas all species of Toxorhynchites are predaceous, there are a few species in other genera (Aedes, Culex, and Psorophora) with the same habit. The vast majority of mosquito larvae are filter feeders or 'grazers' on algae and the like.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
A Bee's Best Friend

It has been so cold and rainy not a lot of insect action yet. I did get a small spider but it was not clear. All this week is to be warm and sunny so the garden should begin swarming...hopefully.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
Too Wild To Garden

I have a couple of thoughts about this contest. One is that a year to run a contest through a forum is reeeeally long. Members will come and leave in that time. You may end up with people entering the contest and then vanishing before winners are chosen. Or procrastinating to the point that it might as well be a month-long contest in December.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Thank you for asking, Charlotte - your interpretation is correct. Cropping certainly is permitted; what I don't want is digital manipulation of the image itself, such as altering colors, contrast, adding/subtracting elements, etc. My apologies for neglecting to specify cropping in the first place.

About altering photos digitally. Submitted photos can’t have had their contrast entered? But darkroom photographers can adjust contrast, as well as dodge and burn (lighten and darken selected areas of the photo), and make color adjustments. That’s all a standard part of printing a photograph in a darkroom. Every professional journalistic photo has had its contrast adjusted. This is not considered to be dishonest.
It would make more sense to say in this contest that a digital photo can only be altered in the same manner that analog photos can be altered.
FYI, my husband and I routinely correct contrast in our photos when necessary. (Well. . . I do when I have time. When I don’t have time, I post what I consider to be sloppy work and get on with my day.)
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
WG Staff

From the very first post:
Quote:
Announcing the First (and hopefully not the Last) Annual Insect/Arthropod Photo Contest Entries may be posted to this thread through 31 December 2009; there will be two categories: (1) individual images and (2) slide shows - a series of three to seven images that ‘tell a story.’ Winners in both categories will receive a copy of the National Wildlife Federation’s “Field Guide to the Insects and Spiders of North America,” courtesy of the National Wildlife Federation and an anonymous donor. Decisions of the judges (myself, Dave Stiles, and also perhaps my wife, who has a far better artistic perspective then I do ) will be final. There are only two rules: All images must be from this year, and the images cannot be digitally altered/enhanced. Multiple entries are allowed. Please send me a private email if you have any questions.
No one, I repeat no one is being paid to lend a hand at Wildlife Gardeners. We're not saying our decisions will always be the best but they will always be the best we are able to make.

If the member sharing their time and talent with us determines a change is needed, it is their decision alone to make. We are grateful to any member in a position to help us out. We aren't in a position to pay anyone and believe WG is that much better because of the contributions of members like Dave Stiles, suunto, BooBooBearBecky, and soon kzoot.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Too Wild To Garden

Staff, are you responding to my previous post? Because you have left me scratching my head in confusion. I suggested a rule change, and you have gone on about not being paid. Huh?
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #20
WG Staff

Please contact suunto privately per his request in the original post if you have any questions. The contest is his to run. We support his decisions. Thanks

Tags
contest, insect or arthropod, photo