Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
Fox

The range of the rusty patched is much smaller than it used to be. Most reports are from the Midwest (WI, MN, IA and IL), but there are a few scattered recent reports from further east. I see that there is even one in MA.
https://fws.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Emb...se&theme=light

I think that the native plants that you have put in are doing the native bees a world of good. You might not see a rusty patched, but all of the other bumble bees will benefit. I wouldn't give up hope on seeing a rusty patched though, they used to be in your area:
https://fws.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Emb...ue&theme=light

Good habitat like you are providing is much less prevalent than one might think. I did several scouting trips this summer looking for areas to survey for bumble bees. I thought it would be easy to find several areas with a population of plants that could support them. I actually found very few areas that looked like they had the kind of plants that would supply a season long continuous supply of pollen and nectar. I think that the people that are planting native plants for pollinators are doing a lot more good then they realize.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bees, honey, native, versus

« ~Bugs 2014~ | - »