Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Have you spotted a redish brown stag beetle?

The Xerces Society has posted on it's Facebook page about a boom in the population of reddish-brown stag beetle, or “pinching beetle,” Lucanus capreolus.

Quote:
Xerces Society ...Far from fearsome, stag beetles play an important role in our ecosystem.
This link is from them to a Columbus Dispatch. A great picture of both male and female included in the article.

Nature: Boom in fearsome stag beetles a boon for ecology - Entertainment & Life - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Naturalist Jim McCormac writes a column for The Dispatch on the first, third and fifth Sundays of the month. He also writes about nature at Ohio Birds and Biodiversity.

The two pictures I'm attaching here are from our granddaughter. She took the pictures with her phone on the deck outside their backdoor. Are you seeing stag beetles more this year?
Attached Thumbnails
Have you spotted a redish brown stag beetle?-img_6099.jpg   Have you spotted a redish brown stag beetle?-img_6100.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
Salamander

Growing up, pinching beetle week was my favorite week of the summer. Next door neighbors had a tree cut down and the pinching beetle larva lived in its roots. About 4 days a summer, the pinching beetles were very common in their yard. I had sucked all the neighborhood kids into my insect world so we were all into collecting beetles for those four days.

I see them when I'm out mothing but have never seen one at my current house. I live in the same area as McCormac (I'm in one of his articles because I let him use a cecropia caterpillar as a photo subject). Before his article came out, I had two friends ask me to ID pics of pinching beetles so I figured the beetles were more common this year.

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

And I...... look forward to the yearly release of the winged ant swarms.....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beetle, brown, redish, spotted, stag