Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Default Biting ants

This is one for MrILoveAnts.

I have been bitten several times recently by tiny black ants. They hurt when they bite and they do not just brush off. I have gotten a reasonable look at them and they do not look like fire ants, being totally black and without that extra bulge on the narrow part of their body. Today I got a bunch in me when I picked up,a branch of an oak tree that had fallen yesterday. Any idea what kind of ants they might be and if there is anything I can do about them? I do not know where they are nesting.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Alternate POM Judge

turttle I have been bitten by small black ants here many times. I don't know if it is a certain kind or if they all bite. I have tons of ants here. I hope Mr I Love Ants answers. I am interested
Old 09-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

I have loads of ants here too, in various sizes and colors, but only the tiny blak ones seem to bite, though my daughter got stung by a large red ant a few years ago.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

If they're not stinging you at all then you're probably right about them not being fire ants, or anything else in that subfamily for that matter.

Sounds like either a Camponotus or Formica species, unless they're tiny in which case I'd need more info. Lots of Nylanderia species (Crazy Ants) that are harassing Fire Ants out of existence but they're more down in Florida, Texas, and the Gulf States. Nothing else that's non-stinging comes to mind except maybe Tapinoma sessile (the odorous house ant) which produces an odor when crushed.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus can be easily identified as a large black ant with a hairy abdomen. Workers also come in a variety of sizes with the larger ones having noticeably wider heads. They would also likely be nesting in the wood or dead parts of the tree.

Formica, most likely, subsericea is another possibility. They're a totally black ant with great big eyes, and a sheen of silver hairs all over their body. They're fast moving and nest underground.

If they had red in their pattern then I would almost certainly say it's one of the other Formica species we have. The genus is the largest in North America and the most "developed" species actually build small super colonies in forests, with large thatch mounds about. Often there are so many ants out foraging in the day time that they can be heard rustling in the leaves.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #5

Thank you! They were tiny, all black, and way smaller than the carpenter ants I have. I will try and get a photo of one.

Tags
ants, biting