Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That's exactly how they're built. LOTS of them but all in just a specific area.
They're so large that you can see them when you're flying down the highway at 60MPH!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Myrmecochory: Ant Seed Dispersal
Elaiosome! so many god dam plants produce seeds with elaiosome packets on them! TwinLeaf, Wild Ginger, Trout Lily, Blood Root, Woodland Poppy, all Trilliums! Hepatica, Turkey Corn, Dutchmen's Britches, Corydalis, some Violets, all produce seeds with elaiosome on them! And I suspect some Pipe Vines too. This is almost 40% of our spring wildflowers! Yet in every nature book I've ever read, the topic is treated almost like a cliff note.

While not a requirement for the seeds to grow it greatly benefits these plants to have their seeds dispersed. If only to take them a few feet away from the parent plant that's still better than leaving them in the pod as a tasty buffet for birds and rodents.

The most success I've had with it are with Trilliums, and Woodland Poppy. Turkey Corn works too but I've not had enough time to play around with them. The size of the ant compared to the seed is a factor. Here a tiny Acorn Ant, Temnothorax is trying to nibble at a woodland poppy seed's elaiosome.
Without knowing (nor having an explanation included) as to what Elaiosome was or meant.... I looked into it and now understand the tie.

Quote:
Elaiosomes (Greek élaion "oil" and sóma "body") are fleshy structures that are attached to the seeds of many plant species. The elaiosome is rich in lipids and proteins, and may be variously shaped. Many plants have elaiosomes that attract ants, which take the seed to their nest and feed the elaiosome to their larvae.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ant, interactions, plant