Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

beetle1 Building an insect condo

Lets get creative and share with one another our photos and ideas while creating "Insect condos"
Photos of the pre gathered goods from which we will pick and choose it's beginning shape, framework and form from, the progress along the way AND the finished hotel or what have you named it.

They needn't be large. Tiny nooks and crannies would all be worthy and good.
Let's give those insects, frogs, newts, etc something to snuggle into over the Winter or perhaps throughout a storm.

Who's game? I AM!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

Once you review the various photos of the insect condos online: http://www.google.com/search?q=insec...w=1280&bih=909
Decided upon which type, shape or form you wish to pursue creating.

I decided to go with creating something kind of rectangular-squarish instead of haphazardly or round and odd.
I began the search for what was to become it's basic framework....In my home, garage, Goodwill, a few sales, and a St Vincent DePaul
Building an insect condo-p1090367.jpg
This is what I came up with....A silverware divider, small hinged jewelry box disassembled, a quadruple sauce bottle holder, three shadowbox frames, a tiny drawer with the handle removed, Notepaper holder, a duo shelf unit and a vintage wooden box.....Perhaps a squarish wicker basket or two.

Now let's see what YOU have came up with for beginners....

Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Guess this layout looks pretty good....
Building an insect condo-p1090372.jpg
No wait.....I'm going to slide the two small boxes over to the right (in the upper left hand corner) and put the other small shadow box by the wicker basket to their left. Then flip the wicker basket vertically into the middle void. Notice the paper pad holder flipped upside down on the way bottom.....I'm hoping it becomes a future toad abode. The one to it's right is also raised a bit above soil level by the addition of the cover of the tiny jewelry box in its center for teeny tinees to crawl beneath.

THERE, All set to screw together but I'm now on hold until hubby remembers to bring the electric drill home for me.

How's YOUR collecting and arranging going?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Heron

Looking good Hava!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #5

I'm still on hold for an electric screwdriver so I've been out gathering the items I intend upon setting into the form. It's quite the pile!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Where will the insect hotel be installed?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #7

I was thinking along the East wall of my little garden out back. That area is already shaded by a huge dogwood so it will not take away much more of the early morning sun from that bed. At the moment it's resting upon a card table in the middle of the KITCHEN!

I thought by putting it there it would bug the s*%t out of my hubby and get him into bringing that darn drill home for me. NOT doing the trick though, and there she still sits. I could drill holes and screw it all by hand but it's so much easier with and electric. I'd for sure end up with blisters doing it manually.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #8

During our little intermission while STILL waiting upon a drill.
My sister questioned what it was I was creating in the middle of my kitchen.

I explained to her about how well kept lawns and gardens have taken over the areas that USED to provide homes for the insects and creatures.
I went on to tell her about how dead wood, cracks and crevasses etc. provide spaces for those pollinators, insects etc.
This thing will be my way of reintroducing some of that structure back into my yard.

She really liked the idea of creating homes for the insects and went forth creating some true beauties of her own!
Building an insect condo-p1080874.jpg
After nailing a small basket onto a piece of driftwood, she flipped over a smaller basket and inserted it inside, thus providing many access points!
Building an insect condo-p1080875.jpg
A gnarly, hole, cracked and crevasse filled piece of driftwood pulled from rivers edge sits atop an ole woodpecker hole from a fallen tree.
For visual appeal, She ties it all together with a false fern and decorative carving.
Building an insect condo-p1080879.jpg
I thought this one pretty clever...
A small wire basket set inside of a woven. Into that, a sheet of birch bark at its rear and filled with Seashells.
They in turn are stuffed with mouse nesting material-Cattail fluff. Another piece of birch bark rests on top to keep the insects dry and comfy
Dried florals spice up the visuals.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

You should be getting some pretty fancy insects!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I loved your insect condo "framework". It was really interesting how you laid it all out and I got the chance to see what you've collected so far.

Tags
building, condo, insect